Ouch

289, FIA & Daytona topics
svcabr

Ouch

Post by svcabr »

Thought that you chaps might want to see how my MSA Classic ended somewhat prematurely on Sunday. Police think a rear tyre blow out was responsible and I ended up straight on into a lamppost. Fortunately it was a relatively low speed inpact and both of us walked away shaken but unhurt.
Gerry has photos and is preparing a quote for the insurance company. Given that it was a mere two miles from the finish at Rockingham it could have been an awful lot worse!

Thanks to Roger King and his navigator for stopping to help.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ouch

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear about that. At least you are OK.
Hope all works out with the repairs.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Alan

Glad that you and your passenger are OK.
Gerry did some body repairs for me a couple of years ago when I hit a bollard damaging the off side front wing :oops:
His work was really first class and you can't see the join at all. If it were me I'd get him to do the fiberglass work.
Let us know how you get on.

regards

Bill
svcabr

Post by svcabr »

Will certainly be getting Gerry to do the repairs. Chatted to him this morning and he was talking about making a mould from another car and then cutting out my damaged area and bonding in the new section. We think that the chassis is still ok and he can avoid having to take the body off. Interestingly, he said that part of the front section is designed to be sacrifical.

A
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

That is exactly what he did with mine and it really is a top job 8)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, it was a very weird day from the grip point of view. We had slid around all over the shop on Castle Combe, and had a 'moment' or two in the rain. After the RAC arrived at Alan's accident, we carried on to Rockingham and did a couple of laps. Several times it went very sideways, at low speed (probably only 40ish). Pirelli Supertourings, and Alan's on Coopers - must be a combination of oil, petrol (a lot of old cars going round the tracks) and continuous rain!
I don't think Alan's repairs will be at all complex - he managed to preserve all the structure outboard of the longitudinal body panels that support the rad etc., so it's only the centre of the nose section, and some transmitted crazing along the n/s wing. The rim that deflated wasn't even damaged apart from a minor scrape where the tyre came off the rim - so it's fingers crossed for a good repair. I know Bill's job was excellent.

Colin's car was there looking very nice! Good job it wasn't him with the popped rubber - the bill would have been extremely silly...
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:Hi Alan

Glad that you and your passenger are OK.
Gerry did some body repairs for me a couple of years ago when I hit a bollard damaging the off side front wing :oops:
His work was really first class and you can't see the join at all. If it were me I'd get him to do the fiberglass work.
Let us know how you get on.

regards

Bill
I'm not surprised you can't see the join, it was the Near Side you pranged!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Just making sure you were paying attention Clive :wink:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just a thought, Al - I'd be inclined to remove the rally plate before the insurance assessor comes round...
svcabr

Post by svcabr »

Good point!