Well I said I would.............

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Well I said I would.............

Post by Cotton Mouth »

The same as in my GT500 Mustang? wait a second I will just pop into the garage and check. Damn the tach has gone and the rest of the car is missing as well. By the way, this post is powered by Mustang envy. :D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

At this juncture I should point out that I don't have a GT500 Mustang, just the tacho from one...
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

With respect of Roger's oil knowledge above, the gearbox oil has been replaced by Fuchs Titan 5005 oil and the Castrol LSD oil is now Axel LS 90. After the discussion above about long talks with salesmen and not placing an order I didn't dare go anywhere else than OPIE Oils who were extremely helpful. For those of you who breeze through builds without mishap, you can stop reading here, for the rest of us I spent an entire Sunday rebuilding three 14w wiper motors and stripping switches to try to understand why there was no second speed on the wiper. At about beer time, I found that the fused feed to the wiper switch, which is the wire deepest in the bundle at the Lucas fuse block and not easily seen, had just dropped out of the slot and was touching the fuse block, enough to give power for first speed but not for second. My vocal limbering up sessions are now numerous, extensive, fluent and would make a Colour Sergeant blush. For those of you that need practice, I suggest you start with Rindercella by Ronnie Barker - still eye-wateringly funny. Keep going chaps.

Cotton Mouth

PS does anyone else have that worry that as completion draws somewhat within reach that you will actually have to get in and drive what you have built or is it just me?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Cotton Mouth wrote:With respect of Roger's oil knowledge above, the gearbox oil has been replaced by Fuchs Titan 5005 oil and the Castrol LSD oil is now Axel LS 90. After the discussion above about long talks with salesmen and not placing an order I didn't dare go anywhere else than OPIE Oils who were extremely helpful. For those of you who breeze through builds without mishap, you can stop reading here, for the rest of us I spent an entire Sunday rebuilding three 14w wiper motors and stripping switches to try to understand why there was no second speed on the wiper. At about beer time, I found that the fused feed to the wiper switch, which is the wire deepest in the bundle at the Lucas fuse block and not easily seen, had just dropped out of the slot and was touching the fuse block, enough to give power for first speed but not for second. My vocal limbering up sessions are now numerous, extensive, fluent and would make a Colour Sergeant blush. For those of you that need practice, I suggest you start with Rindercella by Ronnie Barker - still eye-wateringly funny. Keep going chaps.

Cotton Mouth

PS does anyone else have that worry that as completion draws somewhat within reach that you will actually have to get in and drive what you have built or is it just me?
Excellent - keep at it lad!

As for your PS, just this very morning I walked around my car having loaded it with jets, carb gaskets etc. before the trip to Pete Baldwin's rolling road (he's 76 and still winning races). It looked lovely, so pretty, just sitting there being shiny chrome and black. I actually truly thought, 'oh god, I've got to drive it now' - and always get that bizarre mixture of excitement and pure fear whenever I get in it. I'm not scared of the car dynamically, just always convinced something's going to break. Especially when Pete is standing there with his ear defenders on telling me to press harder on the loud pedal when it's already at 5500rpm, has only done 800 miles since break-in and all the other excuses.
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

I thought that I would deal with a couple of issues whilst I waited for some parts to arrive. The first item of business was to make a pair of aluminium heat shields. I know its not original but I rather liked the look and so started with some 1.5mm aluminium sheet and made some templates. The passenger footwell was straightforward and simply required a bend in the middle to follow the line of the transmission tunnel. The air gap was then created with some 3mm aluminium discs that were used to space the shield off the footwell. The drivers side was another problem altogether as the curvature of the footrest area meant that trying to have the right size of panel was difficult to estimate. Eventually three pieces were made up with the lower edge being oversize and could then be trimmed for an accurate fit. The panel was then welded. The panels were then screwed into place with M4 stainless bolts and acorn nuts internally for Mr IVA.

ImageP1070779 by James Adeley, on Flickr

ImageP1070784 by James Adeley, on Flickr

Whilst I was doing sheet work I though I would put in the boards to cover the A frame which supports the windscreen. These are cut out of 3mm marine ply which I had left over from another job.These were held in place with M4 bolts screwed into rivnuts. These were then spayed black and will await carpet.

ImageP1070782_1 by James Adeley, on Flickr
Last edited by Cotton Mouth on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

All looks very nice. Wish I could weld Ali.
Out of interest was there a reason for making the A frame cover in ply. I did mine in Ali before adding the carpet.
Peter C
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Sorry for the slow reply. You are very kind but credit me with far too much capability. I found a chap who welds aluminium for intake manifolds for BTC. I enjoyed my time in his workshop which was an eye opener. He has to keep the temperature within a few degrees as if not when he has put the multiple folds into the manifolds he makes, it is 1-2mm out which is unacceptable. The A frame cover was made in ply as I had it to hand, it is easily worked and is non-load bearing. Aluminium words just as well but I din't have any and you just can't beat stock.

James
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Dear All,

I am running a T5 Tremec gearbox with the speedo drive from the left side. How have members of the congregation run the speedo cable and brought it into the cabin area and up to the rear of the speedometer? Struggling to find a way that doesn't have drawbacks. Any help gratefully appreciated.

CM
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Same as original is easiest - along (inside face) of the LHS chassis tube, rising up just aft of the clutch cylinder, curving up over the bellhousing to the RHS of the car, into the bulkhead roughly behind the RHS cylinder head, back to the speedo.
monster7

Post by monster7 »

Me too...:)
Kind regards, Ronald