Well I said I would.............

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Well I said I would.............

Post by amulheirn »

Would a pair of these do? You might be able to use the same hole to pass the cable through, but attach them higher on the bodywork?

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... amber-59mm
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My understanding is that the dimension to the front indicators is to the bottom of the illuminated area. It used to be to the Center line when I had my SVA.
You say that the springs are as long as the shockers which infers that you have the spring platforms at the bottom of their adjustment. You should have no problem in winding the spring platform up to gain the 10 mm.
Assume around 3 turns should sort it out. Expect the bottom platform to be approx a 1/3 of the way up the total thread or around 35 mm of thread showing below the platform.
Ensure that you undo the grubscrew before trying to turn and of course take the weight off the car to make the adjustment easier.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Cotton Mouth wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 pm
Now, I need your help, I need to raise the front indicators by 10mm. I have Gerry's front end and the springs are as long as they can go on the shocks, any ideas from the Clan? If your idea is buy some new ones and drill a hole 10mm higher I got there, but thanks. Also, do I need to adjust the suspension so the wheels centre after a turn or is this taken care of by the way the uprights fit into the wishbones? Sorry, but I have very little expertise in the area of suspension.

Best wishes to you all.

CM
Clive, I was in your position having met the height regs, but then changed the tyres to V-rated that had a slightly lower profile, so i failed by 5-10mm on this one. My scrupulous (that's the polite word) IVA inspector told me to take off my lenses, mask up and spray the bottom segment black. I was a little surprised at the advice, but thats what I shall be doing.
Kevin
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Many thanks for the advice regards the suspension. The car is up on stands whilst I fabricate a seat locator/seatbelt mounting bar in 6mm steel that will though bolt through the fixing holes in the chassis, so adjustment should be straightforward. The variety of guidance this indicator point makes life rather unpredictable, mine being a little more so on the retest as the previous tester has now left. I am right in thinking that they can only examine the fail points and not re-open previous items that passed arrest I, or did I imagine that?
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I believe that is correct Clive.
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

I can now confirm that the above is right that the examiner is only interested in those items that are on the fail list. This time the car started without problem - that was due to a small amount of corrosion on the negative battery terminal post. The fellow I had at Beverley was very helpful, very entertaining with stories of past vehicles which made me realise that if you have a Hawk kit you are nowhere near the out reaches of what might be submitted and allowed me to tighten a bolt up behind the dash - which then pulled out one of the wires to the headlight relay so there was a fairly fraught moment when only one headlight came on - shades again of One Piece at a Time. I must admit to having slight kittens when he drove off quite quickly to check the self entering on the steering with the thought "if you knew who had built that, you wouldn't drive it quite that fast". However, despite this I am now the proud possessor of a shiny new IVA certificate.

Anyway, if I can pass........... Good luck to those coming up to the exam.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Well done!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Congratulations! You must be really pleased!
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

good job!!!! I did read with much pleasure all your posts. I really hope u keep writing here.
Grtz Frank
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Well done James!
Not long until the "On days like these!" moment (without the dumper truck at the end)