Well I said I would.............

289, FIA & Daytona topics
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Well I said I would.............

Post by clive »

I cannot control what temp my fans come on at. There is a temp sender which is fitted in the top of the radiator which Gerry supplied and seems to work well enough. My temps are pretty much in the middle of the gauge but it is the oil temp which fluctuates more than the water as I don't have an oil cooler.
My radiator pressure cap is 13 lbs.
(This is for a Ford 302)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Depends on your coolant. I run Evans waterless (propylene glycol) which works fine at 0 pressure, reducing risk of leaks etc. In the absence of zero-rated caps I use 7psi in Cobra, Mustang and the modern.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Cotton Mouth wrote: Image

Before moving these into position I recalled RK's dire warnings of "aluminium corrodes as well" - it might be a little prosaic to mention he is now building an all aluminium car - and sprayed the back of the panels with Dinitrol. This is a liquid wax that solidifies after a couple of hours. The panels were then put into position.

I see that you have fitted your ali closing panels tight to the underside of your GRP bodywork.
I am involved in an Aston DBR 1/2 project, these cars have either ali or GRP bodies. We have found with the GRP that if the closing panels are tight underneath when the car is exposed to the hot sun the body 'drapes' over the closing panel and a visible line can be seen.

As a result we now run a 10-15mm gap and fit an edge seal that pushes over the panel and has a squashy bead.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

When I was building my car, I sprayed the engine bay with Halfords aluminium paint to see what it would look like. It looked good to me so I left it and didn't line it at all, apart from the sides of the footwells next to the exhausts. When Gerry first saw it he asked how I had managed to line the engine bay without using rivets. If it was good enough to fool him, it was good enough for me!
Cheers, Clive.

Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Another vocal limbering up session. The panels are only tight at the front with there being a gap from the edge of the bonnet backwards. This was not due to foresight on my part simply that I could not easily get the panel in otherwise. To take these panels out is a body off the car job which I am loathe to do as I seemed to have made considerable progress in recent weeks. I think that I will finish the car and take it abroad - well lets face it its not going to get any sun here - and see if a line appears before painting. Thank you for the help and where does your squashy beed come from please?
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Cotton Mouth wrote:Another vocal limbering up session. The panels are only tight at the front with there being a gap from the edge of the bonnet backwards. This was not due to foresight on my part simply that I could not easily get the panel in otherwise. To take these panels out is a body off the car job which I am loathe to do as I seemed to have made considerable progress in recent weeks. I think that I will finish the car and take it abroad - well lets face it its not going to get any sun here - and see if a line appears before painting. Thank you for the help and where does your squashy beed come from please?
Good idea.

It is possible to trim in situ with a plasma cutter if you have access to one.
Trim seal is available from car builder solutions or others. HTH Mark

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Edge_Seal_TRME
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Well, the Olympics are over so I had better get on with it. Damn, didn't it make you proud to be British! The next job was to get the body back on. These pictures were taken the day after as I was trying to get the body back on between rainstorms, the chassis was parked on the drive with a tarpaulin over it and when I was ready to go in the middle of torential rain - its when the neighbours turned up to help - I found that I had not cut the aperture for the propeller shaft, despite writing myself a note not to forget!

As those that have followed this far and haven't yet lost the will to live, you may recall I had built a wiring jig to build a loom that loom that looks vaguely original with across the bulkhead wiring in cloth covered wiring but with relays behind the dash. I will return to this subject when the system is complete. I only mention this as the car appears partly wired but this is what it looked like once it was stripped off the jig.

The first step was to fit the battery box which I had built and described earlier. This bolted neatly into place at which point I found out that I could not get the battery in as I had forgotten that there is a lip around the engine bay. At this point i always think about Roger's reply when Stewie was complaining that he had had to re-build a particular part of the car twice which was "youv'e only had to do it twice". Out with the hacksaw, back to the powder coaters and this is the end result.

The observant of you will note the +ve battery lead is connected to the -ve terminal but it beats the hell out of a short when the cable carries 300 amps.

I also bought an original Lucas washer bottle and pump - don't laugh. I stripped the motor, cleaned the commuter checked the brushes then built a small housing for it, which was then attached to the front chassis area with M4 bolts.

Before I take any credit for this idea I researched (if you are familiar with the Great Lobachevsky and Tom Lehrer you should read that in a Russian accent) Roger Kings car. The cable clips are from Autosparks and are anodised steel. I started with the clips from AH spares but the rage of sizes is too limited. The clips are also attached to the chassis with M4 bolts into tapped holes with plenty of Coppa slip. I have also bought horns which I couldn't resist as they are called "Hooters" (teenage giggling can be heard) and are pretty loud.

Well that's all for the moment. I hope you are all having a good summer - now its arrived. Regards
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

What is the capacity of your washer bottle? For IVA it must be at least one litre, which for a cobra seems rediculous. I don't think I've ever filled mine up more than once in 6 years and 30,000 miles of motoring. One day I'll get round to fitting the Tudor one I bought about 5 years ago!
Cheers, Clive.

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Great progress - most impressed!
Does the battery lead go directly into the footwell to power the electric toewarmers? And that model of screenwash bottle and pump is available new from Holden, and comes with the bracket (which is not as nice as yours).
Glad you cleaned the commuter - was it before or after he got on the bus?

And as you have no doubt discovered, you can't beat a nice pair of hooters.
snigger.

KUTGW
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

James has got a car!!

Well impressed sir, bung that spaghetti in and IVA before Crimbo!!

Yes don't underestimate the 1 litre washer bottle, that was my failure! The lovely VOSA chap even filled it with his calibrated 1 litre measuring jug and it overflowed all over the floor! :roll:

Well done on the progress. When you finish I'll buy you a nice new anorak! :mrgreen: