Intro

289, FIA & Daytona topics
CobStang

Intro

Post by CobStang »

Hi Guys
Having owned my car for seventeen years I guess its about time I got in touch.
The car is a 1988 B.R.A.
Car Number 064, so quite early with the MK 1 chassis I believe. Engine is a 3.9 ltr Rover putting out around 240 brake at the fw, with LT77 5sp and 3.07 rear gears.
Suspension is homemade front double wishbone, with AVO coilover, adjustable caster, camber, rideheight and damping.
Rear is MGB axle, homemade 4 link with panhard bar, AVO coilover, adjustable rideheight and damping. Weight distribution 48% front, 52% rear.
Brakes, front solid disc with Rover SD1 twin pot caliper, rear homemade rear disc conversion using Sierra discs and calipers. Front / rear prop valve.
Car photos well still, but is now going from a 10' car to a 20' car due to having a hard ( but fun filled ) life.
Cheers
Mark

Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Old Boy Racer

Re: Intro

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Is that you Mark? Profile name plus description of the car and the pics seems to match what Andy told me about it. Great looking car so we must get together as discussed some time. When my back axle is back in that is.
Cheers
Robin
David Large

Post by David Large »

Hi,

A very nice car and very similar to mine. My car is no 54, purchased from BRA as a kit in 1985.

Glad you have joined the club, we BRA owners need to be strong to beat off the Hawks!

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Thanks guys
Robin, yes I know Andy.
Cheers
Mark
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

David is quite right. The Hawk is a BRA replica :D
Robin
Migge

Post by Migge »

Nice BRA, any pics from "under the bonnet" or underneath in general?

Cheers
Migge
Special customized BRA289
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Migge wrote:Nice BRA, any pics from "under the bonnet" or underneath in general?

Cheers
Migge
Certainly no pics of the underside, may have some under the bonnet. I will have a look, its not all pretty and blingy tho. More your workaday than Sunday best.
Mark
Migge

Post by Migge »

Mark,

Was just interested in the homemade front suspension etc.

Cheers
Migge
Special customized BRA289
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Migge
I do not have any pics of it on the computor sorry.
Many years ago after looking at the Hoyle setup that Gerry uses and being told that at that time ( I dont know if the same is still true ) that they retained the stock MGB geometry I decided to have a go, but make it work better.
So the design is much the same , but with revised pickup points. The AVO unit passes thru the upper wishbones and mounts on top of the lower one.
The outer ends of the extended lower wishbones have camber adjustment.
First day out at Snetterton the difference was like night and day. Well worth the time and effort.
HTH
Mark
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Mark,
a few pics of the Mustang maybe to go along with those of the 289?

Cheers

Robin