what colour is this?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

what colour is this?

Post by agnoraan »

Could you please tell me what colour this is please, Is it Guardsman blue?

looking at images of blue FIA Cobras on the 'net, there seems to be quite a bit of variation between the colours. I know that the colours can look different depending on light etc, but someblues are way different

Regards...Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: what colour is this?

Post by nikbj68 »

"Guardsman Blue ...... there ain't no such thing ....... the painters would all get drunk on Friday and they wouldn't show up. Whatever the painter that week thought was Guardsman Blue to him, that was Guardsman Blue, see, so there might be 500 different colors of Guardsman Blue."

-- Carroll Shelby
"
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I think that is just another piece of Shelby spin. There is a Guardsman Blue and it has a specification. Why would Shelby create a colour and call it "Guardsman"?

The car in the picture is what would be considered Guardsman Blue. It it's original, then it probably is Guardsman Blue, but if it's been repainted, then it could just be something close. When I built my Contemporary Cobra, that was painted in Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White stripes and roundels.

Do you know what colour your Daytona is painted Dale? Given the lengths the original builder went to, I'm assuming it is Guardsman Blue.

However, the FIA's were originally painted a lighter shade of blue, which I think was called Viking Blue.

Paul
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

The top car is CSX2345 in the Shelby American Museum.
It is original and has been unrestored since it finished racing in 1965. Owner Steve Volks has no plans to restore it as it is a bit of history - one of only two original FIA cars left and the only one which has never been restored.
The colour is Guardsman Blue and as Paul said the FiA cars were originally painted a lighter shade of blue - CSX2345 still has the lighter shade on the inside of the boot lid.
AC Cars did offer Guardsman Blue from the factory but I think the FIA cars were left in primer and were then painted in the States. It is very possible therefore that there are variations in the actual colour.
Tried adding photo of mine but have the 'board attachment quota reached' message!
Andy
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks guys, it's as clear as mud :lol: here's another colour blue.These two pics below look like the same car belonging to Lynn Park, (not the ones above) but I'm assuming it's a trick of the light that make the two photos look different colours. Would this be "Princess Alice blue"?

In this photo it looks more blue, maybe it's been repainted??

Sorry for the dumbass questions, just trying to sort out some colours. :)

Regards...Nige
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

PaulB wrote:Do you know what colour your Daytona is painted Dale? Given the lengths the original builder went to, I'm assuming it is Guardsman Blue.
Paul
Yes the Tona is painted Guardsman ... it's the same the paint code as the link above
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

As far as I'm aware the darker blues are guardsman and yes the FIA cars were Viking blue which was a shade or two lighter.
Appreciating it's the lighting / reflections that are affecting the various shades of colours seen on car 16, but the lighter appearance of the front of the bonnet would look like Viking and the doors something darker ( similar to my GM Atlantic Blue) but not dark enough to be Guardsman.
To my knowledge Sovereign Cars spray shop has the correct list of ingredients for Viking Blue.
Hope that helps
PeterC
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just realised that there are two car 16's I meant the one on the show stand.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Number 16 is always the same car: CSX 2259
Special customized BRA289