Buy a complete car or a shell ?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
chriskcode

Buy a complete car or a shell ?

Post by chriskcode »

OK for those who know my k code mustang is up for sale and I have a yearning for a Cobra in early 2015 :idea:

Don't mind at this stage whether it's a 289 or 427, what is important that it is will be true to the heritage. I'm no anorak, but having restored a mustang to its nth degree it will have to be right.

I'm not sure whether I really want a complete build from scratch as I'm an impatient individual, and having spent 2 yrs on a mustang resto, not sure I will remain on track.

So the initial questions are:

Likely price for a "good" replica 289/427 complete car?
Approx. build time for a Hawk 289 (yes I know depends upon to what hours , skill etc - can do most things including bodywork and usual weekends/ few hours in week after work)
What is approx budget of buying say a Hawk 289 kit with all of the requisite parts save for engine?
Is the Hawk the best option for say 289 ? ( I want another good mustang so a Kirkham Is out of the question)
How often do part finished projects come along and are they any good ?

Thanks in anticipation
Chris

P.S. Let me know if you want a good K code mustang !!
Marsh

Re: Buy a complete car or a shell ?

Post by Marsh »

Hi Chris,

I'll wade in first, though I'm sure there will be a number of differing views here which will doubtless be well considered.

In terms of valuing a complete running car, this will be determined to a large degree on whether the car is aluminium or 'glass.

You will find Hawks starting from around £30k, dependent on whether Rover or Ford engined and there have been recent examples of the latter on sale for figures in the region of £35k, which would appear to be very good value for money. Assuming you go the 'glass route, there is no reason why you would have to spend more than £35-£40k for a cracker of a car, but you'll need to be patient, as good cars don't come up that often, whilst some cars seem to take an age to shift. Obviously, you'll be looking at around double for an aluminium car, though there are always exceptions.

There are a number of questions that I'm not sufficiently qualified to answer (so I won't), but the consensus view would suggest that a well built Hawk, with a good engine, is a very sound choice if you want a beautiful car that is a visually accurate representation of a 289 - I know I'd have been very happy to go down this route had my car not come up for sale.

It would be fair to say that 427 reps are probably more numerous as there are a variety of cars around, but if you're looking for one that's 'right', you may spend more time looking as many tend to be less period accurate and finding a good one that looks, goes and sounds right can be difficult (and I have personal experience in this respect). Just take a look on the various sites of the cars currently for sale and you'll see what I mean...

I was flexible in my choice of 289 or 427 and ultimately bought a car that was fundamentally right - accurate body shape, interior, Ford engine and correct pin drive wheels, but needed more work to make it 'right'. Six months on and I'm some way down that road, but still have much to do. As of this moment, I've invested around £10k so far on top of the purchase price of the car, which was towards the lower end of the figures above and I'm still investing...

Whichever route you decide to go down, there's much good advice on this site.

My personal advice is to start looking now on sites such as Car and Classic, as a private buy from a known club member would be your ideal route, as trade mark up's can be rather strong, particularly in the current market, where many people are realising that a well built 'rep' makes a very good purchase.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear that you are selling your Mustang :(
Have a look at this thread, If this car is still for sale and you got it for circa £35K, it would be a great buy.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1509

These two are also on Ebay currently:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Hawk-289-/ ... 20ecd10edb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAWK-AC-ACE-2 ... 46276946b3
Yes, I know it's an Ace !!

Being The 289 Register, there is a bias here towards 289's. So I guest a good starting point for you would be, do I want a 289, or a 427?
There are pros & cons to buying a built car and building yourself, but as you have said you are "impatient" and you have a budget to consider, a built car would seem your best option.
In general terms a well built glass Hawk with a good paint job and weather gear, fitted with a Rover should be circa £30K, add on £5K for one with a Ford engine.
However these are only estimates based on recent sales, and values will vary widely depending on finish & specification.
Even if you do buy a built car, you will end up "playing" with it to get it the way you want, so also factor in a budget for that too, like Lee is doing.
I've had my Hawk for 13 years now and I'm still "playing" with it.
What ever you decide you'll have lots of fun with it and there will be plenty of advice/support here to help you on your journey.

Bill
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

This one was back up on ebay last week & didn't sell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351178138013? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It seems to be fetching less & less everytime it's advertised

regards..Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

agnoraan wrote:This one was back up on ebay last week & didn't sell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351178138013? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It seems to be fetching less & less everytime it's advertised

regards..Nige
That is a fantastic car and well worth more than the asking price. Unfortunately it is in Italy and it is the wrong time of the year to be selling a Cobra.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

You asked on build time for a 289
I took 15 months which involved every night plus week ends to get on the road without paint and trim
That was using a ready made engine/ gearbox together with Jag rear assembly all ready to bolt in.

PeterC
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Gents, thanks for the responses.

Lee, I think your advice to me when we met @ Sywell was wise i.e. don't fix on one thing and buy the best available, methinks I will remember those sage words.

Hopefully hunt will commence after K code goes @ NEC in mid-November.

Chris
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Timescale depends on how fussy you are.
I'm now in year 4.

Anybody want to buy a project, any reasonable off... no, dammit, I WILL finish it

Got some underdash wiring detail wrong so all coming out for a partial rewire now
Still waiting for T10L
Also waiting for correct 1" chrome on brass glovebox door hinge, custom made ...BUT I do have the correct aluminium flat-head rivets to fix the hinge to the plywood door, of correct 1/4" birch ply! ...and the 4BA chrome raised c/sunk slothead screws to fix the other leaf to the ally dash!
No, no, not the white jacket again... and never called me mother...
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Roger King wrote:Timescale depends on how fussy you are.
I'm now in year 4.

Anybody want to buy a project, any reasonable off... no, dammit, I WILL finish it

Got some underdash wiring detail wrong so all coming out for a partial rewire now
Still waiting for T10L
Also waiting for correct 1" chrome on brass glovebox door hinge, custom made ...BUT I do have the correct aluminium flat-head rivets to fix the hinge to the plywood door, of correct 1/4" birch ply! ...and the 4BA chrome raised c/sunk slothead screws to fix the other leaf to the ally dash!
No, no, not the white jacket again... and never called me mother...
Roger, I'm fussy, but not (yet) in danger of getting your anorak :lol:

I'm going to let the mustang go and then take a look at some completed cars and see if I can cope with having somebody's other completed car. Knowing me however it will have to be very good. Might just purchase whatever derivative body type Project car. At least that way I get to build exactly what I want. However just didn't wanted another 3+ yr project....

Might have to finish the Mach 1, sell it and then buy me another mustang as a car to use and abuse for 2 yrs
and then buy the Cobra and take my time to build a good car.

Decisions, decisions.........

Chris