Brake upgrade

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Johannes1

Brake upgrade

Post by Johannes1 »

Morning to UK,
i like to improve the frontbrakes of my 289 HAWK with MGB frontaxle an brakes. What do you
think about this Moss kit? (MGB Brake kit, Wilwood four piston Big Brake)

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=11749

The HAWK has a nice working Jag.-rear axle with inner discs and wire wheels 6J x 15, without brakeservo.

Can you recommend this? Or exists there a better combination?
Can i change this kit without any modifications?

Thanks in advance for your help!

regards
Johannes
David Large

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by David Large »

It looks like good stuff but at a price.

I seem to recall reading some years ago that drilled and grooved discs were not recommended for road use - but maybe I am living in the past.

I have modified Princess callipers and Peugeot discs on the front of my car which do a similar thing for about half of the cost - but I agree that they don't look as classy.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I think the problem with the Princess calipers is how rare they are now. I do know of one other 289 which has the MG upgrade and it does seem to work well. Have you thought about a brake servo?

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/dual-remote-servo/
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

That is very interesting. It is the only time I have ever seen a dual remote servo - perhaps I go out too much!

My servo only works on the front brakes.

Does anybody know if these servos are currently available and do you need a dual master cylinder or do they work off a single master and only become dual from the servo?

David
David Large
Karl

Post by Karl »

David, these have been available for a long time. They were called Hydrovac by Bendix and were also manufactured in Germany under license by Ate.
Now it is just Frenos Iruna in Spain still making them. They make a lot of special brake parts for low volume and agricultural vehicles. The Dual circuit booster is just that, one vacuum cylinder operating two brake cylinders, so it keeps the circuits seperated. You can buy them here in Germany no problem, but sometimes Iruna is running out of stock because they only produce batches. Also many shops in the UK (kit car suppliers) are selling them.
Regards Karl
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Karl wrote:...low volume and agricultural vehicles.
That'll be us, then...
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

I have twin piston calipers from a Rover 2600 SD1 on the front with solid MGBV8 discs, with rear discs using Sierra calipers. The fronts are very efficient, the only downside is cooling, I now have cooling ducts from the front and don't boil fluid anymore. The front calipers bolt right on the MGB upright with stepped bolts, were as cheap as chips and use MGBV8 pad size and fit inside the 15x6 wire wheel, whats not to like ?

The pad / piston area on the fronts is on a par with Princess 4 pot.

Also have a front / rear balance valve.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Johannes1 wrote:Morning to UK,
i like to improve the frontbrakes of my 289 HAWK with MGB frontaxle an brakes
To get back to your question Johannes, what exactly do you want to improve about your brakes? The way they pull the car up? The elimination of fade? The pressure you have to apply to the pedal? The way they look through the wire wheels? What exactly?

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Johannes1

Post by Johannes1 »

Morning Colin,
the rear Jag. brake works very good, so if you brake the front of the car don´t comes down, when i brake very hard, first the
rear axle blocks. And yes, i have to press the pedal very strong but reason is the missing brake servo.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
regards
Johannes
David Large

Post by David Large »

I have a remote servo that works on the front only, I think a number of Cobras have that solution.

David
David Large