update thread

289, FIA & Daytona topics
kaiserbilly1

Re: update thread

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Not yet Clive, I thought you were doing that tomorrow :twisted:
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan
You have related that you have lined the wheel arches with rubber due to the sticky Avons throwing grit but what have you done about the front of the rear arches exposed to the stones coming from the front tyres. Mine are well shot blasted by the Avons on last years Welsh tour with lots of freshly gritted roads.
I intend to get them resprayed but need to line up some form of 3M clear film to protect the new paint.
It's not easy to apply so will need to get it done professionally.
If anyone knows of a suitable agent in or around Surrey.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan,
You originally asked for ideas to tinker with. I assume those that might make the car a tad better in looks or function.
In no particular order I have added the following which can be read about in old club magazines.

Re pipe the exhaust to have the first silencer up as high as possible under the seats and the rear section traverse over the axle.
Add the longitudinal tubes that the original had between scuttle frame and front suspension.
Add the tie bars as the original between bottom of the rear wing and the chassis.
Add the tubes between scuttle and chassis visible below the dash. It's not possible to traverse thro' the Hawk tunnel so mine stop short.
The under bonnet fibreglass weave properly filled and then sprayed body colour. Add a drilled Ali plate to bonnet bulge opening.
Add adjustable heating vents to the footwells. Essential in the colder weather without the hood.
Add a Ali deflector in the roof of the nose area to force the air through the rad rather than over the top.
Add a 2nd over flow/ header tank to make the water system a closed no loss system.

That's all I can remember at the moment.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Alan

would you know where to source the FIA wheels for the MGB splined hubs?

Bill
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Alan
Agreed is probably not possible over the top of a solid axle.
The raising of the remaining system is a good idea. By having a short swan neck on entry and exit of the silencer I have the bottom of the pipes in line with the bottom of the silencer. By also adding a small brace between pipe and silencer it creates a long flat surface to prevent it snagging on anything.
You can view it when we next meet.
Peter C

Bill
I have MGB splined FIA wheels purchased from Trigo but Gerry should be able to supply as I think he still deals with them.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

peterc wrote: By also adding a small brace between pipe and silencer it creates a long flat surface to prevent it snagging on anything.
You can view it when we next meet.
Peter C
My exhaust also has the brace you describe but both welds between it and the pipes have split leaving a crack in the exhaust which were picked up at MOT time.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

I am in process of converting to peg drive wheels on my FIA - I should have a set of MGB spline drive Halibrands available for sale sometime in the future. The rear should be done within the next week, but will be a bit longer before the fronts are done. I am still getting the parts together to do it - after my experience with the rear I am waiting until I have all the parts before starting. (I began the rear conversion in October!)
There has already been a couple of enquirers about the wheels so may have to start an auction when they become avaiable :shock:
I will try to post some pictures of the rear axle later this week (when I get it back!).
Andy