update thread

289, FIA & Daytona topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: update thread

Post by peterc »

Andy
Whilst having the later pin drive wheels is perhaps more authentic it raises two questions.
1) What will you do for a spare? A 'space saver' MGB wheel would no longer fit!
2) What width will the new wheels be as Gerry seems to have gone wider at both front and rear on the later FIA's such that you would need to check offset and wheel arch clearance. It also means wider tyres.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive,
Not had any problems with mine which was converted back in 2004. But then you have probably driven 5 times as many miles than me.
I used to add these skid plates to my exhausts on the first low hanging silencer on several of my cars in the past. It saved ripping off the system on numerous occasions when using 'white roads'
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

My exhaust is the standard Hawk stainless steel one and stainless steel is prone to cracking around welds. The biggest exhaust problem I've had was with the downpipe, which I assume was quite hot and therefore soft when this happened!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
andyg
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by andyg »

Hi Peter
I have never carried a spare so no change there! Just carry some tyre weld.
The new rear wheels have had the offset changed and will use my current Avon tyres -275/55/15
The front wheels will probably need a slightly larger tyre but I need to be careful as the 225/65/15 tends to touch the wheel arch when turning. I am hoping the 225/60/15 will be ok.
The wheel sizes are front 7.5x15" and rear 9.5x15"
Karl has already done this conversion so I am assuming it will work although his hubs are from a different source.
Andy
Karl

Post by Karl »

I have been running these wheels and tires since the car was build (2009). The rear wheels had to be machined a bit and the front wheels arches had to be modified a little at the front lower side, but no big deal, just with a file. No problems with this combination in seven years now. Did some measurements for Andy and hope it will work out okay!
Karl
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi guys
As I suspected you have wider rims. Mine are 6.5 & 8.5. It took me a while to realise why later FIA's were able to use wider tyres that I didn't think suitable for me.
Perhaps Gerry has adjusted the suspension to suit as I don't think the wider option would fit.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive
That's some back pressure you created there!!
My down pipes and bottom bend are CS, it's the rest of the system that's St Stl. I have scuffed my bottom bends a bit and damaged the insulation wrap but not dented them. You must have had the timing incorrect and running rather hot!
Maybe the shock of that damage caused the other cracks.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The pipe came off when the car bottomed out after a very spirited drive down Glenshee. The clamping bolt leaves a lot to be desired especially when there is increased g force!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

The oil line running to my remote oil filter came off whilst out on a run a few weeks ago, emptying the contents of the sump all over the engine bay and underside of the car I've never really liked remote filters anyway, so here's a little tip that might be of use to those of you with a Rover V8 or a small block Ford with oil filter clearance issues.
I bought an oil filter housing that puts the filter at 90 deg to the block, instead of it protruding forwards as it does from the factory. The good thing about this housing is that you can also rotate it through 360 deg to position the oil filter wherever you can get the best clearance to chassis, steering rack etc etc.

The original remote housing that screws onto the oil filter housing thread.

The new 90 deg housing that can position the filter through 360 deg, secured to the housing by the central bolt.

Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

For those with Ford engines, there is a 'short' Purolator filter that fits perfectly without the need for an adaptor.