update thread

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: update thread

Post by amulheirn »

Roger King wrote:For those with Ford engines, there is a 'short' Purolator filter that fits perfectly without the need for an adaptor.
Would you have a part number Roger? I just bought a K&N that is probably going to cause me clearance issues, unfortunately. I'll add it to the wiki, along with other suggestions about this.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I use Unipart GFE 422 which is ideal, however I think Unipart are no more but I'm sure you will get an alternative.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

clive wrote:I use Unipart GFE 422 which is ideal, however I think Unipart are no more but I'm sure you will get an alternative.
Great - thanks Clive...
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:
Roger King wrote:For those with Ford engines, there is a 'short' Purolator filter that fits perfectly without the need for an adaptor.
Would you have a part number Roger? I just bought a K&N that is probably going to cause me clearance issues, unfortunately. I'll add it to the wiki, along with other suggestions about this.
Sorry, I binned them a few weeks back as nobody wanted them on ebay. The stock oil filter fits the Kirkham chassis OK. L14670, or something like that I think...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

For those of you with Rover engines I can advise that Mr Halfords has changed the size of the standard V8 Rover filter and it's a tiny bit longer and bigger in dia than previous examples which fitted perfectly.
This requires a small scalop to be cut into the rear most web of the re enforcing of the bottom wishbone mounting.
Why do these people change things that were pectfectly OK as they were.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I use the 90 degree adaptor and a Moroso racing filter. Low pressure drop with less risk of running on bypass.
I've been advised by many to avoid stubby Fram filters at all cost as they have a weak bypass spring and end up filtering next to nothing.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:I use the 90 degree adaptor and a Moroso racing filter. Low pressure drop with less risk of running on bypass.
I've been advised by many to avoid stubby Fram filters at all cost as they have a weak bypass spring and end up filtering next to nothing.
Which is one reason why I will only use Purolator or Motorcraft. Motorcraft from preference as I try to use Ford for Ford...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Stuart
Are you suggesting that Halfords = Fram as I have used Fram quite a lot over the years without seemly having any issues. I have used Halfords more recently due to not finding anything else readily available.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

Ford 302: Using the Mann W930 filter , 2,5 bar bypass opening and anti drain back valve, with 90 deg. adapter and sandwich plate for oil cooler take off.
Seven years now, no leaks, no problems!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Karl wrote:Ford 302: Using the Mann W930 filter , 2,5 bar bypass opening and anti drain back valve, with 90 deg. adapter and sandwich plate for oil cooler take off.
Seven years now, no leaks, no problems!
I've just removed my remote filter and used a 90 deg adapter to mount the filter to the oil pump instead. Like you Karl, I've used a Mann W930 filter as it was a spare that came with the car. Since fitting it, it seems that the engine holds better oil pressure on tickover when hot (90 deg). It used to tick over at 15 psi. But now its around 22psi. Is this due to the specification of the filter ie 2,5 bar, bypass opening and anti drain back valve or is it because it doesn't have to contend with pipes going to the remote filter? Is this Mann filter better than others or are they all spec'd pretty much the same?

Nige