which engines?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
David Large

Re: which engines?

Post by David Large »

PaulB wrote:You might be surprised to hear that mine is 50kg lighter than yours David, even with the big lump of cast iron at the front. :)
Paul,

I am not really surprised, my car was built for comfortable touring. It has a steelworks designed spare wheel well under the boot floor with a full size, chrome wire wheel spare wheel and tyre in it.
I bet the alloy bodywork on your car is significantly lighter than my glass one too. BRA were not known for lightweight fibreglass.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Fair points David. Your full size wire wheel must weigh quite a bit. Your steel wheel well probably adds some useful rear impact protection as well. I wouldn't relish the idea of someone running into the back of mine. :shock:

Clive,

I wasn't doubting that you had written evidence, but I was interested to know if you thought yours was typical or whether you'd taken any particular measures to make yours lighter. :)

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Paul, I always thought my car was "standard" Hawk.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

PaulB wrote:Fair points David. Your full size wire wheel must weigh quite a bit. Your steel wheel well probably adds some useful rear impact protection as well. I wouldn't relish the idea of someone running into the back of mine. :shock:

The steel wheel well is substantial strengthening at the back of the car - provided it is not so low that cars go over it. I did think at one time of adding a tow hitch to it so I could pull a small trailer for Mrs Large's handbags! I reckon we could have built it at least 150 -200 kg lighter

David

Clive,

I wasn't doubting that you had written evidence, but I was interested to know if you thought yours was typical or whether you'd taken any particular measures to make yours lighter. :)

Paul
David Large
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I have been doing some sums! From the data I have in the current membership list, the data is as follows:-

Rover/MG = 40%
Rover/Jag = 12%
Ford/Jag = 25%
Ford/MG = 13%
Other = 10%
Cheers, Clive.

Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

So it's coming in use for something then. :wink: :lol:

Paul
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Clive, those figures look more akin to what I'd expect. Gerry told me that Ford with an MG back end was pretty rare.
T5 box for me too.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

PaulB wrote:So it's coming in use for something then. :wink: :lol:

Paul

Sorry Paul, but I used my spreadsheet. :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

David Large

Post by David Large »

Clive,

The figures are very interesting.

How many BRA's are there in the club?

Unless you are a Migge (and I am not sure what engine Migge is fitting in his car) then I think that fitting a small block Ford or Chevrolet engine in a BRA is a very difficult job. Do we have any non Rover BRA's?

thanks

David
David Large
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

As an aside, fitting a different engine in anything is actually not that difficult, assuming the thing will physically fit. It takes planning to get correct driveline angles, clearances etc. but the actual fitting is just a bit of angle grinding and finishing to remove old mounts, then measuring, a bit of fabrication and a few welds to get new mounts in place. All services (fuel, coolant etc.) are going to be the same. The last swap I did was fitting a 351W in a Healey 100/6, which was actually a simpler job than fitting a new sill.

Sorry, back to the BRAs...