Tara Browne's Psychedlic Cobra

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Marsh

Tara Browne's Psychedlic Cobra

Post by Marsh »

I know we've discussed this topic before, but I've found a lovely Pathe News feature on Youtube (in Colour!) that shows the car being rolled out of the window of Robert Fraser's gallery in London, with Tara at the wheel. A priceless snippet of trippy London in '66.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVRYTd3tWT4

If the link doesn't work for any reason, just use the keyword 'Art on Wheels'...

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: Tara Browne's Psychedlic Cobra

Post by Roger King »

Are you sure that's the right link?
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It isn't, but I found to right one.
Surprising and impressive to see that it was all done freehand with brushes. :shock:

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

And even more amazing that the Cobra should be with us at Silverstone!!!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaAKRnS7GE

Love the commentary. '200 mph daub'?? Erm, possibly not quite...
...and they make the mistake I did, describing it as 'a man driving a painting'. The first bit of the clip gives me some interesting ideas for my Mini, though.
I was very heavily into the custom scene in the late sixties, and a lot of the top painters brushed the colour schemes. Way too fiddly to mask for spraying, although airbrushes were used a lot - I had a Devilbiss, which ran off a tiny compressor.

Roger
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Buckley's column in current C&SC also reveals that David Vaughan is Sadie Frost's dad (but he looks so young in the film :roll: ) and made wild furniture for Princess Margaret and The Beatles. Makes my attempts at adding flames with a brush to a Ford Pop look a bit sad. Like Roger I graduated to an air brush and even sadder, I used it to put lace patterns on a Mini. For those of you too young to understand, you literally did cut panels from lace curtains to fix to the car and then spray painted through it. When dry, you removed the lace and added faded edges to the panel with the airbrush. My face is turning red just thinking about it now. :oops:

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:...I used it to put lace patterns on a Mini. For those of you too young to understand, you literally did cut panels from lace curtains to fix to the car and then spray painted through it. When dry, you removed the lace and added faded edges to the panel with the airbrush. My face is turning red just thinking about it now. :oops:

Robin
Robin, you don't have to go to all that trouble. Just leave your Mini parked outside for a couple of weeks and it starts to get a 'lace effect' naturally, starting at the edges.

Oh, how I miss Super CC and all the politically-incorrect photography.

Roger
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

On the subject of artwork, does anyone remember these ads in the bike magazines:

At first glance it appears that the models are wearing leathers, but they're actually painted onto their naked bodies. There were many variations on the same theme. As a teenager, I thought they were great, actually, I still do. :wink:

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Bucket of cold water for Mr Blore, please