Replicas? No?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Maxakarudy

Re: Replicas? No?

Post by Maxakarudy »

If I was in the market for another 289, Kirkham rather than Shelby would be my first choice no matter what the badge said. Maybe I'm just old and grumpy [/i] :? [/i]

Robin[/quote]

This is exactly my point, why bother with Shelby, commercial suicide IMO

While I'm at it, what do AC Heritage do?, although I know they make new cars I never hear anything about them

Martin
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

' and like most other small scale manufacturers everything was bought in and assembled.
Robin[/quote]

Ahem
Not the Norfolk way at all !

http://www.asmotorsport.co.uk/
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Mark - no chance that you and Andy will ever be normal :D Stand by for a minor invasion from Suffolk BTW. Have a bit a ally work that I'll need doing in a few weeks. Cutting and bending using my world famous cardboard patterns of course.

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:...using my world famous cardboard patterns of course.

Robin
Excuse me... I believe I have copyright on that - my lawyers will be in touch
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Oh lord, lawyers and cardboard I cant wait !

You know the rules Robin ..... no cake, no deal.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

I shall ask Snr Mgt to bake a cake immediately. Once the bruises have healed I'll then buy some of the way up. See you in court Roger. On second thoughts, how about I fix up a visit to view your emerging masterpiece accompanied by more cake? :D

Robin
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Interesting debate, we all know at the top end some are replica's and still get invited to the best events, FIA papers do not care the history. While at Thruxton we saw an original Lotus cortina works car destroyed. My daimler has the original body / chassis and bits that were raced in the 1960's also the car has had some hits in its time, but still would race it. What I really do not like is cars that turn up and have basically nothing old on it, but loads of modern materials. I bet the new 6 e-types will run cycles around the original, if this is the case why should they race with the older period cars.

I love watching cars race, but do find it funny when I see some stupid times from cars that never raced that fast in period. We have seen Cobra's, Mini's, Austin A35, etc all do incredible in races but would have never done this is period.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

From what was shown on the TV program, Jaguar appear to have gone to exhaustive lengths to make the new cars as "correct" as possible in every way. Given that, I see no obvious reason why they should run "cycles" around an equally well prepared original, everything else being equal.
There are a great many E-types in classics racing that are far faster than they ever were in period. Some of the improvements may well be legitimate, but there are also plenty of tales of oversized engines and the like, which should make them non-compliant with the rules, but it requires someone to make an official complaint I guess.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

John makes a good point - I remember a few Goodwoods ago Gerry Marshall was a front runner in an Alvis TA14 saloon, that well-known winner in period... not
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

My problem is anything modern (e.g. Material) will be different. I struggle when I see period vs modern times at a circuit that has not changed. Look at the following,

In 1960's a cobra would lap goodwood in 1min 35sec, now in 2015 @ laptime of 1min 26sec. So does modern tyres mean 9 seconds a lap quicker, now what does get a joke is when a mini now in 2015 would out gun a Cobra in 1960's. Mini will do 1min 31seconds a lap in 2015. Again not really period, so we either agree have limited rules or have fixed rules. e.g. if not original engine, chassis and body, etc. then it can not be period.

Very few high end cars are really original material. It is a hard subject, no simple answer