Natural Evolution

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Hawk289

Re: Natural Evolution

Post by Hawk289 »

Interesting, the last two pictures of FIA is from my last build. I always have 2-3 finger gap on the wheels when settled. It looks like from the pictures the wheels are nearly a full hand width. Way to high in my view (I know the next owner changed the shocks/springs, I wonder if the Toe/camber was checked), also I remember when building there was a slight difference from side the side on the body not chassis. Also I have restored three AC's from the 50's the body was not aligned side to side, actually most are not the same. Hand built cars will have a difference, very common. The most important element is the suspension is correct. Which they are always, the first two shots are from a kirkham which will be the same side to side.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The top one's a Kirkham, but I'm not so sure about the second one.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

hawk289 wrote:Hand built cars will have a difference, very common.
Even mass produced 'hand built' cars have significant differences. In the eighties I dismantled several Healey 3000s with pressed steel bolt-on front and rear wings. I remember picking up a wing to use on one car, and it was 1 1/4" longer between rear of wheelarch and A post than the one I had taken off. These were factory wings when the bodies were built up at Jensens.
Interestingly, all production Healeys had steel wings bolted to an aluminium centre shroud. The wings all had wired edges around the wheelarches, not simple flanges like everything else at that time had. Old habits died hard, I suppose...

Not sure why we're getting so concerned about something that was never perfect (or even close)?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Even mass produced cars have major differences!
In a previous life one of my projects was vehicle body protection for the F type Jag. That is the laminated plastic panels that cover the body panels on the assembly track to protect from dinks and scratches. We received CAD data from jag to make the moulding tools and a full car for final fit. When we delivered the parts to trackside they didn't fit and some were up to 20mm out. We tested them on the trial car and they fitted perfectly!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:Even mass produced cars have major differences!
In a previous life one of my projects was vehicle body protection for the F type Jag. That is the laminated plastic panels that cover the body panels on the assembly track to protect from dinks and scratches. We received CAD data from jag to make the moulding tools and a full car for final fit. When we delivered the parts to trackside they didn't fit and some were up to 20mm out. We tested them on the trial car and they fitted perfectly!
Good grief. When I swap panels on my BMWs they all fit each other perfectly - I guess the Jag issues were at an early stage of production?
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

The second picture is my third hawk 289 fia which I built a few years ago. Reference modern cars, that is a worry. I know 60's, 70's and some 80's car's had different panels. I never worried that much, I spent most of the time doing the suspension work.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Inventory accumulating slowly :D. All in good time.