Natural Evolution

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Paul Blore

Re: Natural Evolution

Post by Paul Blore »

If you used Rivnuts in the body, it would be really quick and easy to swap between the race screen and the standard screen.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Dave Woodward wrote:
Paul Blore wrote:It's probably worth having a chat with Nige Dave with regard to modifying the rear arches.
Paul
Agreed. Its the arches that scare me and I'm very impressed with the work that he has done.

Not sure where you would even look for companies skilled in the art of remodelling glass arches.
Thanks for the mention Paul, It's appreciated. It's a relatively straightforward job to do, and is far easier than the work I did to mine. I think that it would look really good. The front arches on mine, whilst being fibreglass have a wired edge as per originals to finish it off. When you run your hand around the arch it feels as it should. ;-) I also smoothed the underside of the arch so that it didn't feel like fibreglass, its confused quite a few people so far. The whole frontal transformation took twelve weeks of spare time, from inception to fully painted and back on the road

Obviously Christmas is here now, but if you want to chat about it just give me a shout after Chrimbo and I'll try to help, that's if you want to of course. :-). I can advise you about it, talk you through how to do it if you fancy having a go yourself, or I may be able to do it for you if you wish.The most important thing is to make the decision as to whether its what you really want ;-)

I hope you all have a great Christmas

Cheers...Nige
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Totally agree Nige.

Just thinking through the logistics, effort, cost and risk of ruining the current lines. Other than that I'm totally up for it :D

You'll be the first to know if and when!

Dave.

Post by agnoraan »

Dave Woodward wrote:Totally agree Nige.

Just thinking through the logistics, effort, cost and risk of ruining the current lines. Other than that I'm totally up for it :D

You'll be the first to know if and when!

Dave.
Hi Dave, the logistics and effort arent really major issues, but as I said, with some things it's making the decision for change that's the hardest part sometimes. Personally I would work out my budget and then see what I could achieve for that investment, which in turn would help the decision as to whether it's worth the effort.

I really like the look of the car in the video clip, but it's probably not to everyones taste, any more than a slabside would be to someone elses tastes. If you're really concerned about ruining the lines, then maybe its not quite the right time just yet to go for it?? Maybe you could get someone to photoshop a photo of that car in the same colour as yours to give you a better idea of how it would look, or are you changing the colour also?

Just go with what feels right for you, and that way I'm sure you won't go far wrong ;-)

Whether I'm involved with this or not, I'd be happy to discuss whats involved from a bodywork point of view, just let me know and I'll do my best to give you as much info as possible for you to make an educated decision.
Cheers... Nige
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

When I refer to ruining the lines, I'm more concerned about making a hash of it rather than being unsure of the target shape :P

Post by agnoraan »

Ah, I got you :wink:

Here ya go, CSX 2487 changed to the grey colour of yours :wink:

CSX 2487 is a lovely looking car, but from the side profile the arches and the gaps to the tyres look waaaay too big, plus the tyres aren't centred in the arches either. A minor detail though as you can profile the arches to the tyres properly if you do it :wink:

cheers...NIge
Migge

Post by Migge »

These are modern tires from the look. Too small in diameter. Of course the tires are not centered. That is a very seldom combination, even on the so sophisticated HAWK. The closer (bigger) the tires to the arches the more you can see it. Left side and right side often show the opposite. I guess that after the "BRA" times the HAWK mould has definitly got many changes and of course many improvements. If that was also done on the 90" wheelbase, no clue. But who cares when even the originals had constitutional many discrepancies. Ex-race cars had so many accidents and repairs, that after all that refurbishing the arches were sometimes located an inch away from the original place. And if you take a mould from such a racer like Atkins COB 6058, you will get a body "BRA" with all repairs included. And if you don't improve all mistakes for the next generation mould you have it again. I have seen even Shelby/Kirkhams with wheel arch dicrepancies :( . And even on modern cars you can see it :) :)
Special customized BRA289
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Congrats Alan. I think it has also to do with finding the optimum position to place the body shell to the chassis :D . Mine is not correct too :(
Special customized BRA289
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.