Natural Evolution

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Migge

Re: Natural Evolution

Post by Migge »

Alan, you can alter the body shell position I think at least by an inch or more forward or more back to the chassis as to the sides.
Special customized BRA289
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Migge

Post by Migge »

To get the wheels centered to each arch as good as possible. Will send you some pics where it was good and bad made.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well Migge, that might be the case with your body, but when you go and collect your Hawk, Body and frame are already aligned and connected and with that lot of connection points you have no chance to move the body somewhere. When you take the body off and put it back on (what you do a few times during building) it always goes back to the same position. Yes, you could drill new holes, but there is not much that you can move.
My experience.
Karl
Migge

Post by Migge »

Okay Karl,

So if I see a Hawk with wheels not centered to the arches somebody at Hawk was responsible for? Wow!

Don't know but has someone ever messured if the chassis has 90" wheelbase? Or if the body shell has 90" where the wheel centers have to be? Just for my own interest guys.

I'll search some pics next week but I think I can remember some cars with this "not centered wheel" thing. If the rear wheel is in the middle of the arch, the front wheel is more to the front. Have this noticed on FIAs.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Okay, should be 2286 mm. Just checked fairly quick with two meter sticks and it is 2275. But that was not very accurate, you need to bring the centres outside and a measuring tape, too much work for Sunday morning!
Migge

Post by Migge »

After 3 days off?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Still family dinners to attend!
Migge

Post by Migge »

Okay, you don't have slim FIA bucket seat :) :)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, I'm going to say 'don't do it, Dave', but as ever this is a very personal kind of decision and it is, of course, your car. The more 'race' you make a car, the less pleasant it is to live with as a tourer etc. I know this statement will prompt a barrage of denials, but I speak with some authority having owned several Brit classic sportscars which I've either duplicated with a 'race' version, or modified the one I had, and I can tell you that if you plan to do any serious touring (especially with Senior Management installed) a stock road car is much nicer.
I built a stock, concours Healey 3000 in '92 and loved it - we did Germany, France, Italy and bits of Spain in it - beautiful. I then built a copy of the FAC cars, a sort of cross between DD300 and the Sebring cars, triple Webers, fixed hardtop etc. Used it once for a tour to Monza, fun, but with a mate rather than SM. Came home deaf, overheated and poorer thanks to the Webers. I then had to sell one, so I sold the race car. This prompted me to fit Webers to the 'stock' car, side vents etc. Regretted it immediately and wished I'd never done it. I guess it really does depend on what you want to use it for, but I think your car is gorgeous as it is...