Natural Evolution

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Natural Evolution

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thanks Roger. Hear you loud and clear. When I originally built the car the slabside was the only car that appealed, and still does.

Over the years I've softened to the lines of the 'race' spec 289 and FIA wheels and have often thought of evolving mine.

All in good time.

On a separate note, why would increasing the tyre size change the centre of the wheels !?!?!? Seriously flawed logic !

Post by Migge »

Increasing the tyre size changes of course NOT the centre of the wheels. It brings the outer diameter of the tire only a bit more near the inside of the arches and if the wheels are not in the center it's more visible because the gaps are unequal and easier to see.
Special customized BRA289
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Dave Woodward wrote:...why would increasing the tyre size change the centre of the wheels !?!?!? Seriously flawed logic !
Not at all. It's all to do with gravitational and inertial pull on the larger wheel as you travel forwards and torsional rigidity of the suspension components, makes perfect sense.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Don't know who owns or owned the car, found it on the net. The rear wheel seems to be pretty centered, the front not. That is what makes me thinking of the 90" wheelbase. If you move the body more backward the rear wheels are not centered anymore. It seems that you just can decide the "less worst" position.

DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Hum i would agree with Roger - eventhough looking at migge's last post mine looks identical, ie not entirely central on the front but perfect on the rear.
How does one post a picture

PS DaveW I worked out [read] about the side mirrors!!
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

When I built my first Hawk I wanted to change the rear arches, etc. But when I added up new wheels, paint, etc. was better to build another car. You can get the look of the race car, without the changes to suspension, etc. but consider the end result wanted. I do like the Sebring version of the Hawk (also the only variant I have not made so far).

My race variants are not pleasant on the highways of the UK, every pot hole is just not fun.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

You could of course have the "racer" look with all the mechanical changes, so you get the best of both worlds, apart from the single screen, which is probably a step too far for a road car.

Paul
Migge

Post by Migge »

Again some pics, Silverstone 2012. Two different FIAs left rear wheel pics, one in the centre, one not. And and another 2 pics, front left and right wheel pics. Don't know the owners and don't want to blame some one, just some discussion material.

Migge

Post by Migge »

The other two

Karl

Post by Karl »

Checked distances again today after I started the engine first time post repair. 2750 on wheel centre and body. Have to agree with your pictures, but my car seems to be okay.