289 Front Nudge Bar

289, FIA & Daytona topics
allan horsfall

Re: 289 Front Nudge Bar

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi David,

Just a quick update, I've recieved the Bar from Bernie and am trying to set up a meet to discuss next stage, will let you all know how its going when I have something worthwhile to report.

Just out of interest, its an original nudge bar off his old Cobra and the bottom bar does have a slight upward bend in the centre, about 1cm.
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Allan,
Thank you very much indeed, I'll standby.
Rgds
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Allan,
Any news on this project?.
Rgds
David
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,

I had a chat with Mr Stainless at Levington and as he said, these compound curves are something they do all the time. I had the option of chromed or stainless and after some thought (sorry Roger) I decided on stainless. We were working from an original AC tie bar kindly lent to me by Bernie, a club member who lives in Paris. The final result Im happy with, however the forward curve of the top bar is in my opinion not asthetically correct, i.e. it curves more than the bodywork! but I felt that we had to be true to the original.
To complete the exercise I had Mr Stainless make patterns of the bar so that they could make them to order. If anyone wants one they can be contacted on 01473-659295 or e-mail:- sales@mrstainless.co.uk
At last after a 2 year wait I now have a tie/nudge bar.

Allan
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OK Allan, thanks for the update. Obviously it is your project and you should get what you want. I will have to continue my quest for a spare nudge bar! I really dislike stainless as the colour is wrong, too 'dark' and it scratches much more easily than chrome which leaves it looking dull. I guess it's 304 stainless, which I am told will rust, so keep it clean!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi guys,
This string has had quite a long and interesting discussion but perhaps I can add a closing comment on stainless steel.
The ability of stainless steel to keep stain clear is dependent on the chrome and nickel content. There are many grades, but that used for domestically used items Is normally 304 and will stain over time. E.g. Knife blades attached to a magnetic wall bracket.
Items used for yachts is generally 316 which will resist the affects of the salt that it will be in regular contact with.
Grade 321 is better still and will polish up to a brighter finish. The oil/gas and chemical industries often use even higher grades referred to as Duplex thus being resistance to aggressive chemicals expected in the process.
Please note that any stainless can be contaminated by the workshop bending and folding equipment. Thus no St Stl should be manipulated in machines that have been used on carbon steel otherwise tiny particals of carbon can be forced into the surface of the St Stl and result in a rusty surface for ever. Believe me I had been on the receiving end of that issue.
I'm sure the nudge bar will look good and 90% of people looking at the car will not know what is correct or not to the finer points of the curvature.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

allan horsfall wrote:Gentlemen,

I had a chat with Mr Stainless at Levington and as he said, these compound curves are something they do all the time. I had the option of chromed or stainless and after some thought (sorry Roger) I decided on stainless. We were working from an original AC tie bar kindly lent to me by Bernie, a club member who lives in Paris. The final result Im happy with, however the forward curve of the top bar is in my opinion not asthetically correct, i.e. it curves more than the bodywork! but I felt that we had to be true to the original.
To complete the exercise I had Mr Stainless make patterns of the bar so that they could make them to order. If anyone wants one they can be contacted on 01473-659295 or e-mail:- sales@mrstainless.co.uk
At last after a 2 year wait I now have a tie/nudge bar.

Allan
Any chance you could share these photos with me Allan? They don't seem to appear on the discussion thread any more. I would like to add them and the contact details for the manufacturer to the Wiki.

And did you say they could do either stainless or chrome?

Cheers,

Andrew
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

You can of course, chrome plate stainless steel if you want the chrome look, with the benefit of corrosion resistance of stainless, 304 stainless is a perfectly good product on its own ,it will out last all of us.

Martin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, I'd love to see the pictures. Hopefully, at last thanks to your efforts Allan, we have a nudge bar of the correct shape.
If mrstainless can make in mild steel I'd be interested.
The advice regarding 304 stainless came from Peter's wife Sarah, who knows more than any of us about this sort of thing.

Roger
Last edited by Roger King on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

Its 316 stainless as is most of their output.
Andy, Im just heading out of the door for Greece, will send copies when I get back in 2 weeks.

Allan