289 Front Nudge Bar

289, FIA & Daytona topics
allan horsfall

289 Front Nudge Bar

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,

I have a bit of a quandry, I ordered a front nudge bar from Gerry 2 years ago and it still isnt available, they also do not seem available from any other source as I think Gerry was the sole supplier.
As I required a couple of stainless fabrications for the boat, I had a chat with the guy at the fabricators and showed him pictures, and he tells me that the compound curve is not a problem to them, and yes he can make it, he even offered to do it in stainless rather than chromed mild steel if I wanted.
He's given me 2 options either
1) let him have a pattern for him to copy
or
2)Give him my car for a couple of days and he can tailor make it.

I would prefer to give him a pattern (for consitancy) if I can, but I dont have one. So the quandry is, has anyone out there got a 289 nudge bar they would be prepared to lend us for a couple of weeks.

This would not only solve a problem for me, but give all the members in the same postion a sustainable solution.

Allan
tasmin289

Re: 289 Front Nudge Bar

Post by tasmin289 »

Hi Allan, are you looking for 1 that is curved along it's length to follow the shape of the grille opening? Or 1 that's straight along it's length? Paul.S
Karl

Post by Karl »

Allan, have you checked with Europa? Sometimes they have one in stock.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

The top half is curved along its length to follow the opening hence the compound curve, the bottom half is straight.
Europa only have the 427 bar in stock.
Allan
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It's important that the bottom edge is mostly straight, not bowed down like the 427 one. As Allan says the upper bar is a compound curve. I tried to get these made some time ago but couldn't find anyone who could do the top bar.
If you do get these done Allan, I'll definitely have one - but only if they are chromed steel, stainless doesn't look right. Finding a pattern is going to be the problem I reckon.

Roger
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Roger may disagree with me Allan, but I believe the top half was curved to follow the nose cone opening both laterally and horizontally (or vertically)...but that's probably what a compound curve means anyway. That's not my point. The important difference concerns the bottom half, which was actually not straight but slightly curved upwards between the 45 degree corners. This curve was hidden on most UK cars by the front number plate.

I'm probably not making myself clear so will try to find a picture or draw one. Here you go...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8k2ar64aout5 ... r.png?dl=0

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It sounds like the top rail is the tricky one due the the compound curve (yes Colin, that's what it means ;) ). I'm pretty sure the top rail is the same on a 427 and 289, given that the top curve of the front opening is the same on both models. Therefore, would it not be easier to buy the 427 nudge bad from Europa and have a new bottom rail made, or at the very least, use it as a pattern?
It sounds like a part that is in demand, so the cost of the 427 item could be spread across multiple 289 nudge bars.

Paul
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,

I thought about using a 427 bar and modifying the bottom, but as I understand it the front apertures on the 427's/289's are different. Personaly Im not sure where the differances are, so I am reluctant to risk that. Also on some of the 427 nudge bar copies I've seen, they are only curved in the vertical plane.
If Im going to do this I want to get it right.

I should add Im not looking to make anything out of this, I just want a b----y nudge bar, and if this also gives members a supplier so much the better.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Allan,
The front apertures are clearly different between the 427 and 289 models, but the line of the upper half is the same for both cars. It therefore follows that the upper section of the nudge bar may also be the same, but I can't confirm that either way.
Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I had thought the aperture for the 427 was a 'flatter' profile, without the horizontal plane of the curve - don't know. I'll have a look at what I've got and get back to you, Allan. I think there's a spare somewhere that's close, not sure.

Roger