Hello....

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

Re: Hello....

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Morgy and welcome :) What are your plans regarding changing the body to a 289 again? What chassis number is on this car?

cheers..Nige
morgy

Post by morgy »

Hi Agnoraan

Once all the correct parts have been sourced and I have had time to enjoy her she will be going back to Factory spec, No flares, No scoop,Correct fuel filler, 289 Dash, Leather upholstery etc etc.

I have added a few photos to the Gallery...
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

So are you going to have the 427 bodyshell modified to 289 specification? I'm sure you know that there are vast differences and proportions between a 427 shell and a 289, not just the flares, scoop and dash,... as I've found out with my car :lol:

What was the chassis number?? Most AC's are recognised and known by the chassis number as opposed to the registration. If you could post it up I'm sure someone here could probably give you some of the history of the car

cheers...Nige
morgy

Post by morgy »

Hi

I am very interested in finding out more about my cars history, Apart from what is said in the AC owners registry and the World Registry 4th Edition.

The Chassis number is COB6116 one of the Last 25 complete cars and one of only 16 RHD examples... (if I remember correctly)

To my limited knowledge the later rack and pinion,Coil sprung Car's used the same chassis and body of the 427 narrow hip. The same body as the first 30 427 cars produced in the US.

The Car was viewed by myself and then inspected by Steve Grey from AC heritage before purchase. The information provided by Steve showed correct numbers on all the locks, Hinges, Screen, and chassis, The Original 289 sports Body was modified with larger flares scoop etc..
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I take it you've seen this?? In January 2013, the asking price was £325,000

http://www.graemehunt.com/motorcar/173/ ... s-cob-6116

cheers..Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

morgy wrote:

The Chassis number is COB6116 one of the Last 25 complete cars and one of only 16 RHD examples... (if I remember correctly)

To my limited knowledge the later rack and pinion,Coil sprung Car's used the same chassis and body of the 427 narrow hip. The same body as the first 30 427 cars produced in the US.

All correct, the AC289 Mk3 rather than the 289 we know being the Mk2. I always thought the Mk3 289 street looked a bit odd with the wide arches and skinny wires. Which is probably why they changed it to a 427 spec

Post by Paul Blore »

morgy wrote: The same body as the first 30 427 cars produced in the US.
Hi Mark,

Without wishing to appear that I'm teaching you to "suck eggs", I'm sure you already know that all Cobras were built by AC Cars, with the vast majority being shipped to Shelby for the engine and gearbox to be installed.

The first 427 Cobras made were race cars as part of an intended batch of 100 cars for homologation purposes. When they missed the cut-off date with only around 50 cars made, the unsold race cars were eventually converted into 427 S/C road cars.

If I recall correctly, the correct name for the Mk.III 289 was the AC 289 Sports, and wasn't technically a Cobra.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing putting it back to original spec as the 427 "conversion" looks a little half-baked, which was typical fayre for Angliss from what I've seen. :wink:

We have another member in the club with an AC 289 Sports.

Paul
morgy

Post by morgy »

agnoraan wrote:I take it you've seen this?? In January 2013, the asking price was £325,000

http://www.graemehunt.com/motorcar/173/ ... s-cob-6116

cheers..Nige
Hi.. Thanks.. I have seen that... from 2012-13?, She was sold and I think went directly to Japan..
StewbieC wrote:
morgy wrote:

All correct, the AC289 Mk3 rather than the 289 we know being the Mk2. I always thought the Mk3 289 street looked a bit odd with the wide arches and skinny wires. Which is probably why they changed it to a 427 spec
I actually like the skinny wires look, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wink: I like my cars like my women, I like them to be what they are not pretending to be something else.... :lol:
Paul Blore wrote:
morgy wrote: The same body as the first 30 427 cars produced in the US.
Hi Mark,

Without wishing to appear that I'm teaching you to "suck eggs", I'm sure you already know that all Cobras were built by AC Cars, with the vast majority being shipped to Shelby for the engine and gearbox to be installed.

The first 427 Cobras made were race cars as part of an intended batch of 100 cars for homologation purposes. When they missed the cut-off date with only around 50 cars made, the unsold race cars were eventually converted into 427 S/C road cars.

If I recall correctly, the correct name for the Mk.III 289 was the AC 289 Sports, and wasn't technically a Cobra.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing putting it back to original spec as the 427 "conversion" looks a little half-baked, which was typical fayre for Angliss from what I've seen. :wink:

We have another member in the club with an AC 289 Sports.

Paul
Hi Paul

I know your not trying to teach me to suck egg's! :wink: I miss typed some text from the registry... I know all were made by AC in the UK, the engines were fitted and painted in the US..
I am aware the MK.111 289 was called an AC 289 sports.. I wrongly assumed most had seen my other thread and photos in the Gallery and would clearly be able to tell by the F Reg she was a 1967 or younger putting it out of the "289" range..
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

You don't fancy the psychadelic paint job once applied to a 'Mk 3' by the young toff who was killed shortly afterwards (not in the Cobra I hasten to add). According to research by Club Member Peter Tomlinson he was a friend of The Beatles who later immortalised him in the words to 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'.

Always fancied an 'art car' Cobra like that....it could be done in a vinyl wrap I reckon, so no lasting damage!!

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Yes very true about beauty being in the eye of the beholder as even Olive off the buses got taken off the shelf! :wink: