Parts

289, FIA & Daytona topics
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Parts

Post by StewbieC »

StewbieC wrote:Hi Morgy,

Without sounding disrespectful, if we knew where original parts were at a reasonable price we would have already bought and sold them making a tidy profit in the process.
Expansion tanks are pretty much all rotten, Cobra restorers in the US do a repro. Mine is sat at Heathrow in customs :evil:

All the luck in the world in tracking original or NOS parts.
Belay that comment, released from customs in exchange for £105 duty! Robbing ghets!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

morgy wrote:Roger

Where possible I want Old parts either in good condition or restored/reconditioned not reproduction...
The Ceandess new filler caps that Gerry stocks are made by the same company as original. They are very high quality, made of better material than the original - so I suppose you could call them reproductions by the original company. I looked for 10 years and in that time found one only original cap for sale. They were made of pot metal and the whole thing was very badly pitted and could not be rechromed. You simply will not find one, I'm afraid.

It might be worth checking with an owner of an AC289 (as opposed to leafspring Cobra) as to what kind of cap they should have. Both these late 289s, and roadgoing 427SCs, used the Ceandess filler cap (see Rinsey Mills' book), but it may have been the one with the square button by then.
You could try asking Ned Scudder on the Originality Forum as he co-wrote with Rinsey.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:
Roger King wrote: The original filler cap was the same shape but had a round pushbutton release. Readily available from Hawk Cars.
I got my one direct from Ceeandess, and as far as I can tell it is the same as what was originally on the car, made by the same company - photos on the wiki: http://wiki.the289register.com/doku.php ... iller_caps
Yes, Andrew - I was involved in the very early stages of remanufacture, getting quite deep into discussions with Ceandess, but my efforts came to nothing due to Ceandess's perceived 'lack of demand'. Keith Lessiter of the ACOC eventually got them made after a lot of hassle and problems with dies etc., and they are now available through Gerry, as stated, or possibly direct from Ceandess. The 'lack of demand' turned out to clear well over 200 but I suppose those are still small numbers.