Tech Talk Call - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Re: Tech Talk Call - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

Post by Roger King »

Karl wrote:Question steering wheel boss:
There is no such thing like a special Hawk boss. If your Hawk has the correct steering it is from a pre 69 MG-B and you just use the Moto Lita boss kit for that.
Regards Karl
Karl is correct - but the Motolita boss kit for the MGB would allow you to fit a steering wheel designed for an MGB. AC (and Hawk) used the upper section of the early MGB steering column as Karl says, but the boss is for an AC Cobra, not an MGB. The steering wheel is different, mounting to the boss in a different way. The correct boss is designed to work with the correct VW indicator switch. So: the steering column is the same, if you want to use a standard-type Motolita wheel you order the MGB boss kit, if you want to use the AC-style Motolita wheel you order the AC Cobra boss kit. Both bosses are readily available from Motolita, and are interchangeable on the MGB steering column, but the actual wheels are not interchangeable on the bosses.
Karl

Post by Karl »

That is correct, but I used the correct VW switch with the MG boss and it also works fine. Reason: I did not want the big wood rimmed wheel.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The standard wheel is indeed big, at 16" diameter. Mine feels like I'm driving a Routemaster.
Motolita also do a lookalike wheel (original split spoke) which is smaller at 15", but that's still pretty big. They also sell a AC Cobra 6-bolt wheel at 14", but that is not the same shape as the original style. You could always go for the very early Cobra AC Ace design, which a few steering-box Cobras had.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for all the great info chaps.

Are you still able to get repro indicator stalks Karl? (As per this post in 2007! viewtopic.php?t=93)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes, Andrew, still available.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

For the MGB upper column you will also need an aluminium sleeve to fit the indicator stalk, available from Gerry.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks all - does anyone know which of the three boss kits that Moto-Lita do (here: http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/our-products ... ail01.aspx) would be correct for use with the VW switch and the early MGB column?

Cheers,

Andrew
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:Thanks all - does anyone know which of the three boss kits that Moto-Lita do (here: http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/our-products ... ail01.aspx) would be correct for use with the VW switch and the early MGB column?

Cheers,

Andrew
That doesn't work, Andrew, it takes you to the choices page.

As I have only ever used the 'Cobra' steering wheel (in my old Hawk also), the only boss that will work is under AC as manufacturer and Cobra OEM as model. This fits the MGB column (because that's what AC used for the rack-and-pinion cars), and the VW switch. If you wish to use an MG boss, I'm afraid I have no idea but I don't think that's likely to work with the VW switch assembly. And don't forget the aluminium sleeve you will need to fit the VW switch to the MG column - doesn't come with the switch, it's a Cobra (Hawk) part.
Karl

Post by Karl »

B 25 H works for MG pattern steering wheels with the VW switch. How did I find this out all by myself in 2009? Must have had a lot of trust in my own decisions! Aluminium adapter made by myself. All working since 2009