Tech Talk Call - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Tech Talk Call - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

Post by amulheirn »

Due to popular demand, we will be having our first Tech Talk call on Monday 1st Feb at 8pm. This call is for people building cars, thinking about building one, modifying a car or just plain interested. The idea is to share knowledge and get encouragement from fellow car builders.

Proposed Agenda:

1. Round-table - who is building what (5 mins max. per person)
  2. Technical problems
  3. Any Other Business (AOB)

If you wish to be on this call, please send me your Skype ID, either by replying to this post, or directly via private message.

The call will be on Skype, which you can get for computers, phones and tablets here. I recommend two things:

• If you've not used Skype before, test it first. Feel free to add me ('amulheirn') as a Skype contact and give me a ring.
  • A headset is a good idea
  • A headset with a microphone is an even better idea

Okay - three things!

If you have pictures you want to share, you will be able to use the 'Share Screen' function in Skype to share them with the people in the call.

Please submit any topics for discussion on this thread.
Hope to speak to you then!
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tech Talk Call - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

Post by JohnO »

Hi Andy,

I'm up for it. Sent you my Skype id on email (and skype).

Cheers,
John
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Sorry, but in Vienna on business.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Just a reminder to anyone interested - this call is tomorrow at 8pm!

In my 'any other business', I need some advice on polybush lube and rebuilding MGB stub axles.

If you want to add other subjects, please reply below!

Speak soon... Andrew
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

No such thing as rookie questions! It's a good one - speak to you tonight!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I can possibly take one off the table...
When we fitted Polybushes to the Greyhound we collected them from Polybush in Wrexham, and were told NOT to grease them, use soapy water to install, but you can grease or Copaslip the nuts/bolts. The bushes are not intended to rotate, but to twist internally.

See HERE.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

Hi Andrew - can you add me to the call? Thanks Jerry
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

[Tech Talk] Minutes - Monday 1st Feb, 8pm

Post by amulheirn »

Attending:
  • Alan (St. Albans)
  • John (Sale, Manchester)
  • Peter (Towcester)
  • Jerry (Derbyshire)
  • Andrew (Farnham, Surrey)
This first call was just an introductory call, with everyone giving a description of where they're up to with their respective builds, rebuilds or maintenance projects.

John: Is kick-starting his project again having last done work on the FIA about 6 months ago. Current problems that need to be overcome are how to connect handbrake and flexible hoses to his Jag IRS now that it has been converted to outboard disk brakes. This post from cottonmouth was recommended as showing a solution. There are also good photos from Roger's Jag setup.

Peter: Has bought a car and is doing a rebuild. It was a 1998 Hawk, whose powdercoating is cracking where there are changes in surface, e.g. over the welds. He is selctively applying Brantho Korrux, a product used in the North Sea, to these places. The product adheres very well to the powdercoat, but isn't something you'd want to paint the chassis in completely - not a smooth finish but appropriate for hidden areas that need protecting.
Main tubes have been drilled and given Waxoyl treatment. Will be upgrading the current 302 to a 289.
Under wheel arches, he has used fibreglass surface tissue with aluminium to make the inside of the arches appear smooth as an aluminium car would be. (Interesting - photos please!)

Jerry: Received the kit in September, and a Jag axle just before Christmas. Will install a 1968 302 engine. Has MG dampers at the front with the Hawk calipers. Would like to do engine bay cladding while the body is off. John and Andrew also expressed an interest in this, but John said the people who laser-cut Jon Towers' cladding do not seem interested any more. Jerry will try to get in touch with Jon to see if the plans can be obtained so three of us can get a set cut.
John will be sharing the dimensions of the Hawk radiator with Jerry.
Jerry wanted to know if anyone has experience with the 'special' boss that goes on the MG steering column and Moto-Lita wheel, but nobody could answer that one. Can it be purchased from Moto-Lita as well as Hawk, or is there something special about the Hawk one?
Would like advice on where best to get the seats.

Alan: Has an F-reg Hawk that he shared pictures of during the call. He's been doing all sorts of modifications to the side repeaters, the main headlights, the tail lights etc. Some of Alan's work can be seen in this posting and this posting. He's after advice on getting the MG splined hubs off the front and rear. Andrew advised that after removal of brake shoes and drum (and obviously the split-pin and centre nut in the hub), the rears can be pried off with a pry-bar against the bolt heads that hold the back plates on. Three-legged puller legs are too short, and the two-legged ones flop from side to side.

The call finished at 21:15 and it was agreed that it had been a useful exercise. A recommendation for next time would be to have headphones with a microphone if possible, and maybe video capability, but this isn't critical - it just improves the audio quality for everyone.

Next call - Monday 7th March, 8pm.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Question steering wheel boss:
There is no such thing like a special Hawk boss. If your Hawk has the correct steering it is from a pre 69 MG-B and you just use the Moto Lita boss kit for that.
Regards Karl