Short arms

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Short arms

Post by Roger King »

Just found out why I struggled so much with my engine crane during installation of the 289 - for the coil spring cars (COX), which also applies to Hawks, the engine was moved forward in the chassis relative to its position in the leafspring cars. Wondered why I had to buy a new extra-long reach crane for this car when I'd done the job before in my Hawk!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Short arms

Post by StewbieC »

Found that out this weekend. Water pump pulley is forward of the centreline of the stub axles. In comparison to leaf sprung cars the engine is about 1 1/2" further forward in a Hawk.
I managed to get a couple of the jigsaw pieces in place on my engine bay overhaul.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I thought I had more room in front of the engine than in the last car. Which would explain the ridiculously short propshaft, the gearstick feeling a bit nearer etc. etc.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Actually Stu, looking at my engine bay photos (car itself is still at the trimmer's), I'd say it's more like 4-5", if you're talking about the nose of the pulley - more if it's the groove. The front face of my water pump pulley sits at least 3" behind the leafspring, which connects to the top of each kingpin and is therefore slightly behind the stub axle centreline (due to caster). There has to be comfortable room between spring and pulley for a mechanical fan. This is a '62 Fairlane/Comet part, which I have managed to find and will be fitting when the car comes back.

Here's a photo of COB6029, showing water pump behind leafspring, and fan:

Mind your fingers,
Roger
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

which car is COB6029 Roger?
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OCD wrote:which car is COB6029 Roger?
John Haynes' car, which the museum very kindly allowed me to crawl all over for an afternoon last year. Wonderfully ratty, tatty and never restored. It's the only RHD unmolested street car I've been allowed anywhere near - but there aren't exactly a lot of them in RHD! And there are significant differences between RHD and LHD.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I was just wondering if you followed the Shelby technique of raising the rear of the car on ramps to install engine and gearbox complete?
I recall on your build thread talking about separating engine and gearbox for installation, but no mention of raising the back of the car.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:I was just wondering if you followed the Shelby technique of raising the rear of the car on ramps to install engine and gearbox complete?
I recall on your build thread talking about separating engine and gearbox for installation, but no mention of raising the back of the car.
No point, Nik - I can't get the pivot point far enough back even with the longest commercially-available pro workshop crane, coming in at around £500. You'd need a gantry for that which I don't have - and don't particularly want as they are very inflexible to use. Separate is best! Don't forget, the engine is further back than in a coil spring original or a Hawk.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Don't forget, the engine is further back than in a coil spring original or a Hawk.
Hi Roger,

I don't know about coil-sprung 289's but the front of your engine is in the same position as mine i.e. 5" behind the front axle line (notwithstanding the caster).
I measured from the bolt head on the front of the crank to the centreline of the front suspension "X" brace.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul, I don't know anything about 427 dimensions - are the main tubes the same length?
I can't check at the moment but judging from photos the crank bolt head on my car would be around 7-8" behind the centreline of the leafspring, which is in line with the top trunnion. I'll check when I next see it as I'm interested to know how they differ. According to the US experts the coilspring chassis places the engine further forward than the leafspring, don't know if they're right or not.