First post

289, FIA & Daytona topics
IainS

First post

Post by IainS »

Hi 289 Register,

I've finally got around to applying for an IVA test for my Hawk 289 and now have a date of 8th July. Had it on the dyno last week and now running through long pre test snagging list.... I need to sort out the bonnet/boot handles and was wondering how others have IVA proofed these? I'm also pretty convinced the rear wheel arches don't cover the required amount of wheel, have others seen this as a failure point and if so any suggestions for some sort of arch extension?

After 4 years I'm really looking forward to getting through this and the registration process and getting it on the road!

Regards

Iain
Paul Blore

Re: First post

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Iain,

Welcome to the forum. Have you also joined The 289 Register? If you haven't, you should, in fact, it's pretty much compulsory for any 289 owner. :wink:

What size rear wheels and tyres do you have? I'm not aware of any regularly recurring issues with the rear tyres, but I'm sure others will be able to confirm.

Many of us will be in France for the Le Mans Classic while you're doing your IVA, so good luck with that.

Regards,
Paul
IainS

Post by IainS »

Hi Paul,

Yes I'm a recent new member. I'm running Avon CR6 ZZ, 205's. The issue is not the tyres but the way the body curves in at the rear. Spoke to Gerry and he is aware of it but said it depends on the examiner.....

Iain
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Iain and welcome. I'm not sure about your wheels, but for SVA I fitted the bonnet locks without the handles leaving a hole so I could turn the lock using a flat bladed screwdriver. The boot handle was OK for the SVA.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I replaced the handles for some home made escutcheon plates that were correctly radiused. I used a Square T bar available from car builder solutions and the like. If you read the "building a 289",' "the IVA test" episode. There's some pictures and descriptions. Good luck with the test.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hello Iain

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your IVA.
Which part of the country are you from and do you have some photos of your car that you can post?

Bill
IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks to all for the replies. Bill I live near Bath, a few miles from Caslte Coombe circuit. I'll post some pictures later. My car has a 1971 Ford 302, which I stripped and rebuilt with Edelbrock heads, stock cam, Holley 600cfm and 240bhp/301ft/lb as measured last week. Given its still quite tight, and the cam I'm pleased with that and hopefully can get to my target of 250bhp after a little playing around. I had a 1971 MGB donor so used all required parts from that, except front suspension which is Gerry's.

I'll have a go at the bonnet handles today. The issue with the rear arches is that the arch must cover all the wheel from a maximum height of 150mm above the wheel centre line. I have just read through Tony Cory's build log for his lovely Ace and see he failed IVA on this point..... I don't expect to pass first time so still deliberating whether to see if it gets through on this point or expect it to be added to a hopefully not too long list!!

Iain
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Iain,
Do you want the IVA kit. It has the bonnet escutcheon plates and rear mudguard extensions amongst other things?

Allan
IainS

Post by IainS »

Hi Allan,

That would be great. I had heard about this kit from Gerry a long time ago but forgot to ask. I'd be happy to pay postage or hold for the next person, whichever is easier?

Iain
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Iain,

Cant catch the post today but will send it tomorrow. Dont worry about the postage, just hold it for the next member and pass it on.
Suggest you put a post on here to let them all know you have it, I've done a few of those, surprised your the first one.

Good Luck

P.S. I made the wheel arch extensions to fix on the arch returns, if youve cut those off as I know some have ,you may need to make up a couple of brackets.