New to 289's

289, FIA & Daytona topics
289Eady

New to 289's

Post by 289Eady »

All

I have just bought a BRA 289 and would like to do a bit of work on the interior. Currently, there are no carpets, the dash is bare aluminium, and to be honest the seats look like they have seen better days.

My intention is to take out the seats and take the dash off.

The roll bar will also come out and I am intending to send that off for powder coating (or similar).

I am going to put new carpet in the interior (possibly with dynamat underneath - not quite worked out if that will make that much difference?).

The dash will be covered in leather.

I am then looking to put new seats in - ideally similar to the traditional bucket seat style, but hopefully a bit bigger/more comfortable. I am also hoping to find low profile seat runners/mountings - the current seats seem to seat you quite high compared to the windowscreen (though they don't appear to be that elevated, so any reduction in seat base/runner mounting etc would be welcome).

I am wondering whether anyone has done something similar with their 289 and if so whether you had any comments/guidance/recommendations for seats or otherwise etc?

Thanks in advance
Mark
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: New to 289's

Post by amulheirn »

Hey Mark - congratulations on the new purchase and welcome to the forum! You'll probably get a lot of advice shortly.

Since you're an owner you may want to join the club - the magazine is worth the subs on its own!

http://www.the289register.com/the289reg ... pnew2.html

Cheers,

Andrew
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Mark,
You will probably find that most of our 289 owners purchased their seats from Hawk cars as being the correct shape of the originals. In my case I also purchased the seat runners from Hawk. Those owners who want the seat lower usually get the seat position correct and then bolt it down without runners.
Ref the carpet I made my own cardboard templates before cutting out from suitable carpet supplied by one of the trimmer supplies. You need to add on a minimum of 0.5 all round on each piece to allow for sewing together. Beware the nap of the carpet when cutting out pieces that will go together. Try to keep the nap running in the same direction otherwise it will show as a different shade. I then used a local trimmer to sew it all up and edge those bits that needed it like the sides and the opening to the door.
Best of luck in your endeavours.
Peter C
289Eady

Post by 289Eady »

Thanks both - very useful. I had looked at hawk seats, and also at cobra seats (the historic line - the XL or similar). Maybe the extra for hawk seats is worth it. I assume they are comfy and supportive.

I won't be the only one driving the 289, so I am going to have to go for runners, but hope the seat/runner combo will be low enough.

Cheers
Mark
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. It might be a good idea to give us an indication of where you are in the world as we are dotted about the place and could potentially advise to local suppliers and support.
There are plenty of options with seats. I really like Gerrys and as Peter suggests they are very true in shape to the originals. They are comfy and well supportive. Depending upon the heights of you and your proposed alternative drivers (very brave man), there are options with reduced padding in the seat squab and alternative suppliers. As Peter also advises the carpeting is a simple job, plenty of suppliers of carpet including Wollies trim and I'm sure they could advise who could overlock (thread binding around the edge) the cut pieces.
Hope that helps and fire away with any questions.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi Mark, welcome to Cobra ownership! :D
I too have had to fit a seat runner to my Hawk to allow Mum to drive, and I'm very happy with this one that I've got from BadBoy Classics on eBay for under £20, it only raises the seat by an inch but to compensate I removed an inch of foam from the seat pad!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
289Eady

Post by 289Eady »

Thanks all

I am in Upminster, Essex.

I probably should have said I am 6' tall as well when discussing the seat height - so not that tall at all, but with the current seat set up, it just feels a bit high. It sounds like Gerry's are worth looking at properly.

I think I need to drive it a bit with the current seats and really get to grips with height and position before making decisions.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hi Mark and welcome.

If you can get along to the Silveretone Classic this year we be will there in force all weekend, so a great opportunity to meet the members, see members cars and generally chew the cud on all your ideas.

Any pics to share?

Post by 289Eady »

Here is a quick pic... There will be some better ones soon (car needs a good clean along with the interior work!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Looks like you were in Australia when you posted the pic Mark! Good on ya mate :D

Welcome from Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"