29 heures Of Silvertone classic

289, FIA & Daytona topics
morgy

29 heures Of Silvertone classic

Post by morgy »

Hi All

I would firstly like to tank Andrew mullherin for his Post out on the internet for help, Phil riley for his assistance @Silverstone with tools and advice,

Also everyone else who took time out of there day giving advice and looking at my Old Girl.. Sorry but all of your names escape me.. :oops: It's been a very long day!!!!! :cry:

5am wake up to get 6116 out of the garage (wake all the neighbours) :D to pop up to Tadworth to pick up a Friend for the Drive up too the Silverstone classic.. The sun was out and the drive up through and over the south downs and into the surrey hills was an absolute pleasure. I picked Keith up at 7am and we headed around the M25 when I got this cough and splutter in the fast lane, A quick down shift and a Boot full cleared her in a second, My first thought was a bit of crap getting sucked up into the carb. All seemed well until we got onto the M1 when the Miss fire reared it's Ugly head again.
This time taking longer to clear, 45-50 mins away from Silverstone the coughing spluttering and huge backfires were making the car underivable.
Everyone love flames coming of the back of there cars on the overrun but these were like 50cal shells going off. :cry:

I've been a member of the AA since 1996 and have always Paid Via direct Debit, Paid my money and have NEVER used them. After a quick call I hear My membership lapsed in May??? How this Happened when payments are taken out of my bank every year without fail is a mystery... They flatly refused to assist me unless I was willing to pay for the recovery costs. A few F*&k's & Bo**ox later I terminated the call after Keith said he had FULL RAC that would get us to the event and Home again, Result!!!
A 1 hour wait for the tow truck we had asked for turned out to be a man in a van, Asking the driver where our flat bed was he said that he was here to fix the car, In my best sarcastic annoyed voice while Arctic's passed within inches of my pride and joy I asked if he normally carried spares for AC289's I don't think went down very well, he Had a look and promptly called for a low loader. 2 hours later the low loader turned up... :)

Arriving at At Silverstone some 50+ mins later and being past by COB6107 just a few hundred meters from the car park It looked like things were taking a turn for the better!!! :D Until that is we were informed by a curtesy call form the RAC who said the recovery was only one way, Keith's get you to your destination and home again was only for his Large motorhome while on holiday...... Screwed!!!!!

I was sure that the coil had broken down and was causing this issue as we had checked everything I thought it could be... I'm no mechanic.. A coil was sourced from one of the Stalls at the show for £26 we rushed back to grab tools, Yes I know... I am new to AC's I don't or Didn't carry tools... newbie mistake!!!!
As soon as the coil was fitted the car fired into life and was purring again... Until I tried to reverse her out of the car parking space when she spluttered AGAIN and died... If there was a low branch near by she would have got a dam good thrashing John Cleese style! :lol: :wink:
After some more arse and head scratching she fired and we were able to get her into the the 289 reg and AC owners club area parking right next to the Tara Brown car...

It was time for a Beer,Food, and join Green Flag so I could try to Blag a recovery on the way home, Making sure I was covered on my daily driver, AC and Ariel Atom. The noise of the circuit was fairly loud and the woman on the phone was very hard to hear, I thought I was FULLY cover from time of Signing up!! :oops:

Loads more help form allot the owners that were there. Many Thanks Guys!!!

Coughing and splutter as we left I didn't think we were going to get far at all before she gave up on me Again. Another cough and one almighty backfire she was fine.. Sat nav was set for my home and not really making much trouble until Keith opened his mouth and said "seems fine Now" :cry: slowly getting down to around 30mph on a dual carriageway I was about to pull over when she cleared again. heading south and Making great progress we made the wrong choice too try and get Keith home and headed across the M4.. 15 miles down the road Someone opened there mouth again and uttered those Fateful words again...

GreenFlag were great really helpful all be it a little slow at arriving some 2 hours. Making sure we were going to get home i made sure we were covered, The lady on the phone said yes you have full cover??.. The car all loaded up and we were on our way, For about 10 miles or about 7 minutes up the road to the next service station!!! thinking he need to refuel I thought nothing of it until he started to unload the car.. WTF!!!
10 mile cover only as it was a new policy!! He would have to quote for recovery back to chichester but had already got another job so he had to leave us with around 5 others cars that had been dropped off that night already!!! FFS!!!
Now time for the RAC again... we asked for a transporter and 1hour later a man in van turned up, 5 mins of the usual questions and a fag he Opened the bonnet had a look around then closed the bonnet and called for a Low loader...
Now gone 12 am already with no time for the next low loader I think I would have sold 6116 for a nice Pub dinner a beer and a lift home to my comfy bed. :wink: :lol:
3am we have our final lift home
5.30 we arrive back in Chichester
630am drive to Tadworth
10am Arrive home!!!

I am very Glad I managed to get her there to meet some of you and see 6107.. But parts of me are wishing I just got recovered home in the morning...

Thanks again for everyones advice and attempts at getting 6116 running properly..
Sorry for the Dyslexic ramblings It's been a long day!!!!!
Paul Blore

Re: 29 heures Of Silvertone classic

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you got home safe.....eventually and it was good to meet you yesterday.

The fault will almost certainly turn out to be something really small and cost next to nothing to fix. If you need any help, just ask.

Paul
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Good to meet you Mark and great to see your fabulous car. As Paul said, it'll be nothing serious.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Sorry we didnt get to meet Mark, but I did see your car when Barry Jones and I dropped in for the AGM. We had our own challenges with the race car gear selector! Yours will turn out to be an ignition fault, Mark my words :wink:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"