What's next??

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

What's next??

Post by agnoraan »

Having had over heating problems at Cranfield, I've decided to sort out the cooling system. Although I'd never experienced a problem before, there are one or two little things that I'd like to do to try and make the cooling system "bulletproof". Unfortuantely, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, this has now led me to take the decision to revamp the engine bay and tidy it up a little bit.
What plans and upgrades do you guys have for your cars, or are you happy with the way they are now?
Nige
Paul Blore

Re: What's next??

Post by Paul Blore »

If I've fixed my leaking cylinder head, I'm pretty happy with it and don't have any upgrade plans for this winter. My attention will be directed towards the Dino instead, which I'm hoping to replace all of the suspension bushes on.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nige,
I think the next improvement to the engine bay would need to be the covering of the wheel arches in some thin Ali. It's plucking up the courage to start ripping out the radiator, fans, fuel filter and other bits to have enough space to make decent patterns and then of course cutting the Ali and fabricating the correct folds to ensure a good fit.

Another enhancement would be the correct rod type throttle linkage but that will entail me moving the fuses and relays. So more investigation needed before starting that one.
Peter C
David Large

Post by David Large »

I intend to sort out my Cobra cooling system, I aso have to rebuild the Radical engine and I have a problem on the Porsche engine to resolve.

Oh well it's only money.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

What's the problems with the Porsche David? Will it prevent you from taking it to Ireland?

Paul
David Large

Post by David Large »

No, we are going to Ireland in it. It goes really well but every 300 to 400 miles when pulling away at low revs it cuts out. It always starts again straight away and continues perfectly. It seems to be narrowing down to either the mass air flowmeter or the potentiometer on the idle valve.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I can't find anything to change underbonnet on mine, as I can't think of anything there (within reason) that isn't to original spec. I mean, I'm not going to use original 1964 plug leads, or dinosaur oil, for example - I want to be able to drive the thing. But I've actually managed to get to the point where there is literally nothing left to do, except get it tuned once run-in, a slight exhaust mod... but if anyone has noticed anything or has clean and polite suggestions I will very happily listen to them.
Note, please, clean and polite...
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

catsx11 wrote:Isn't this the longest your engine has actually stayed in the car Roger?
Sssh, they can hear you...

Since the engine was out (twice), the diff's been off once and the gearbox has been out as well. Not to mention the major surgery to the rear bulkhead, which was 2" too high at the step, making propshaft removal impossible. Hence complete new rear bulkhead with associated trim.

What's next??
leave it alone