289, FIA & Daytona topics
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Shelby FIA for sale

Post by ALF »

Fond something in my archive.

CSX7005 was for sale in February 2015 trough VERNONESTATECLASSICS.COM
Details of the sales documentation below as online only the pictures are still available:
http://www.vernonestesclassics.com/csx7005/

But unfortunately no information about the body.
What does the registry say about it?
From my point of view Paul's assessment is correct.
GRP body with aluminium bonnet, boot and doors.

1964 Cobra 289 FIA Continuation
CSX7005
$160,000
The Cobra offered here, CSX7005, is without doubt one of the very finest and most correct continuations currently on the market. CSX7005 was completed by Shelby American on May 31, 2000 as part of a limited run of 10 signature series continuation Shelby 289 FIA Cobras. This series was designed personally by Mr. Carroll Shelby and incorporated many of the modifications which would have been done to the original FIA spec race cars had Shelby American put the 289 Cobra through one final evolution.
This car was built with original spec transverse leaf spring suspension along with a Daytona Coupe tunnel for further stiffening.
Upon completion, CSX2005 was used by Shelby American for a North American promotional tour from 2000 to 2005. During this time, the car was equipped with a 302 crate engine.
The current owner of the automobile, in plain language, is absolutely obsessed with the details and has just recently finished a total restoration of the car which included building the car to period correct 289 FIA standards with an eye for even the smallest details. The car was finished in 1964 Shelby American team livery and a date coded 289 was made into a 347 stroker and dressed with 1964 dated Italian weber carburetors, original Shelby American weber intake, correct fuel log, and correct valve covers. No expense was spared in replicating with great precision a period correct Shelby American FIA Cobra engine compartment right down to the carb linkage. Only the very best parts available were used in the build of this car.
The engine is hooked up to a correct oil cooler and lines and transmits power through a close ratio 5 speed Tremec transmission, though the original T10 is available with the car. The motor which is currently in the car has been dyno’d to 526 horsepower and 485 ft/lb of torque and breaths through a correct set of 289 FIA side exhaust. The car sounds and drives just as insanely well as you might imagine after reading the prior sentence.
From a cosmetic standpoint the car is absolutely immaculate. A fresh repaint in 1964 Shelby American team Viking Blue has just been completed and the car currently features white roundels with the number 16 in them. These roundels are vinyl and can be easily changed or removed if the next owner so desires.
The interior of CSX7005 features the iconic Ken Miles style driver’s seat (original seat comes with the car), correct wheel, gauges, and forward braced roll bar. To top it all off, CSX7005 has a specially ordered Moto Lita 16 inch steering wheel with all the correct bends, just like the original cars had. The car also features a complete Halon racing fire system which includes nozzles for the driver as well as the carbs.
In the trunk, the car features a correct long distance FIA gas tank, which houses a fuel cell, along with a spare wheel and tonneau cover.
The car has recently undergone a complete safety check and race prep at Maeco Motorsports, a renowned Cobra and GT350 race prep team.
CSX7005 currently sits on original pin drive five spoke magnesium FIA Halibrands shod in Avon C6ZRR race tires.
All in all, what you have here is perhaps the most correct continuation Cobra on the market today. This car was used by Shelby American early in its life and is built to the absolute highest standards. CSX7005 is a turn-key machine that is, without a doubt, a car which belongs in the hands of a Cobra purist.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I thought continuation models were built a lot later than 1965.
I note that it says that it incorporates improvements that would have been made IF team Shelby had continued with the FIA model.
So it's not actually an original it's a factory copy and at $160,000 would be a very good price. At $265,000 it's a bit OTT albeit that true original 1964 FIA's are worth a few million 'cos there are only 4 of them!
I guess the the current owner wants to re coup the money spent on the embellishment/ restoration.
Peter C
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

Post by peterc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:57 pm
I thought continuation models were built a lot later than 1965.

-> CSX7005 was completed by Shelby American on May 31, 2000

The "old" FIA cars (5) are known by chassis number:
CSX2259
CSX2260
CSX2301
CSX2323
CSX2345
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

REGISTRY:
CSX7005
Figerglass -> Fiberglass ;-)
Completed 5/31/00
Last edited by ALF on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

"Figerglass body" - perhaps that explains the high price ! - a previously unheard of composite.......
peterpjb

Post by peterpjb »

csx 7005 is a gorgeous car, except for the body material, i was in negation with paul martin who sold the car car to france then,

btw. csx 7049, the last of the 289 fia continuations build under carroll shelby was sold in 2014 for 342.000 $ (with alu-body ;) )
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

If anbody wants a dash signature for authentisty,I'm happy to oblige, I've been practing over the weekend :lol:
Martin
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Maxakarudy wrote:If anbody wants a dash signature for authentisty,I'm happy to oblige, I've been practing over the weekend :lol:
Martin
A replica signature on a replica Cobra seems perfectly reasonable to me. :wink: :lol:

Paul