If it's of interest I'll post more as the build progresses.

289, FIA & Daytona topics
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: If it's of interest I'll post more as the build progresses.

Post by clive »

If only there was a 'Like' button. :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Samthomasracing

Post by Samthomasracing »

I built one of these with the blessing of Peter Brock, let me know if you need any help, link of almost finished example ! If not go to sam thomas racing Facebook page, sorry about longwinded way but it won't let me upload a photo here.

Info@samthomasracing.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/SamThomasRacin ... =3&theater
When racing was dangerous and sex was safe....
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Samthomasracing wrote:I built one of these with the blessing of Peter Brock, let me know if you need any help, link of almost finished example ! If not go to sam thomas racing Facebook page, sorry about longwinded way but it won't let me upload a photo here.

Info@samthomasracing.co.uk

Hi Sam,

When you say you built one, do you mean scratch built one or you bought the chassis & body, then completed it?
Looking at your website, I'm thinking scratch built.
What part did Peter Brock play in the build?
Cheers
Martin
Samthomasracing

Hi Martin

Sorry just seen this, we built it from scratch for a customer, he was friends with Simeone the brain surgeon who has the original and didn't want one off the shelf (his words), it was pretty much my first job when we opened our doors., Peter Brock was and is an amazing guy, he helped with measurements, reasons why certain things were the way they were and stories were fantastic, even when he said no one at Carroll Shelby INC would talk to him or have anything to do with the Daytona they all didn't think it would work, & refused to work on it, even phil remington. It was apparently thanks to Ken Miles who pushed Shelby to let it happen, then tried the 427 and went on to do his Sumo etc and the rest is history.

The car was a direct copy of the 21 Dan Gurney car which ran at the Goodwood TT in period, engine was from a number cobra too, as was the gearbox, one of my all time favourite projects.

Will try to upload photos but for some reason it won't let me.

Still have all the drawings for everything we made, chassis, body, uprights etc etc, must build another one day..

Here are links of it on our Facebook page

Hope i haven't gone on too much.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi,

Not at all. :)

Keep them coming.

Regards,
Paul
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Thanks Sam,
The Coupe looks stunning along with all the other cars on your website and FB page.
One day I have plans to build an alloy 289 Cobra as close as possible to an original, scratch built like yours.
Knowing what's involved, it's not something you can just knock up from a few photos, how long was the build, I'm sure we are all interested in the build blog if you've got more photo's.
Cheers
Martin
Samthomasracing

I started with drawings in September 2010 and the car rolled out of the workshop in February 2013.

The hardest part was the roof line, i know Gerry does them and others do too but that wasn't what the client wanted, he wanted to recreate the shelby process using Peter Brock & sent me off to photo and investigate the original.
Unfortunately he was too late to get in touch with Carroll Shelby before he passed but Peter was fantastic.

The roof line being difficult mainly because each one was different depending on what day of the week it was in Italy, apparently the one that won le mans wasn't a Friday car, which made me laugh.

We ended up making our own drawings for the rear spoiler with Peter, he wanted to add a scoop in a certain location which he wasn't allowed to do in the 60's but adding that would have meant no FIA papers for us so was a no go.

I have got some more photos ill get them on the FB page and put a link here as thats the only way i know how.

Funniest part of the build was the owner who owned a Cobra standing next to it on one of the initial start ups next to the exhaust pipe, i told him to move but he said " I know how these cars are don't worry " I churned it over and it turned twice and fired into life shooting a 4 foot flame up his trouser leg !! Neither of us could stop laughing ! It was a real honour to build that car, as a kid it was always the Cobra then when my dad showed me the Daytona, they were my pin up cars and still are.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

I'll look out from them on your f/b page, cool

I must say for someone who was only 20yrs old when the coupe build started in 2010, you must have felt like you won the lottery to get build a car like that, very impressive Sam
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

External bodywork going on.