Car Covers

289, FIA & Daytona topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Car Covers

Post by peterc »

Simon,
I assume that you refer to a detached garage and not one attached as part of the house. I am not aware of the wholesale condensation you describe in my garage which attached to the house. I'm sure that there will always be longer term rusting of any protected surface unless the area is kept at a constant temp and humidity.
Having gaps under the garage door was always seen as providing drafts to dry the car but I'm sure that you could reduce the gaps to make a dehumidifier worth while.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Yes detached.
It was a particular day when the variation between the night (below freezing) and the day (very warm) was extreme, so I'm sure it was the exception rather than the rule. However protection is the order of he day in whichever form.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Over the weekend the daytime temp was minus 6 degrees here and it was warmer in my garage than in the house! :?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I've very recently replaced my 8-year old Ruby Dry dehumidifier with one of these:

http://www.meaco.com/meaco-dd8l-zambezi.php

So far, very happy with it. I thought my garage was pretty good, but this unit is extracting over a gallon a day. :shock:

Paul
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Paul Blore wrote:I've very recently replaced my 8-year old Ruby Dry dehumidifier with one of these:

http://www.meaco.com/meaco-dd8l-zambezi.php

So far, very happy with it. I thought my garage was pretty good, but this unit is extracting over a gallon a day. :shock:

Paul
Does this drain externally Paul or a tank that needs emptying?
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Either. I have mine draining into a large bucket that I empty.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Most units have the option. I have a hose going out through a hole in the workshop wall on all my dehumidifiers.
IainS

Post by IainS »

I'm fortunate to have a large garage but unfortunate in that it is an old outbuilding and rapidly adopts the climatic conditions of the outside. At numerous times during the winter the engine is covered in condensation and numerous aluminium/alloy components get the deaded white beard. My car will not be finished until the spring but there is no way I'll leave it without protection once finished. I'm interested in the Carcoon and welcome feedback from others. I don't see a dehumidify is a practical solution for me, unfortunately...

Iain
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Question for the dehumidifier boys...guessing the hose outlet from the machine needs to be higher than the bucket or exit point from the garage, right? And is your new one still the dessicant type Paul, I remember you rated then highly?

Re the Carcoon Veloce, as I posted previously, my experience after about 18 mths is that the zip that allows entry/exit started to stick and then eventually the teeth got out of alignment and effectively the zip was f****d. To be fair to the maker, he did offer to refit a new zip, but with the hassle of taking it all down and packing it, posting it etc, I decided to try glueing in a Velcro replacement. Had to shore it up here and there with needle and thread, but its worked ok for the last 6 months. Just seconds to rip it open, a couple of minutes (maybe 3-5) to close it, pressing the hook and loop together all round. In my opinion, that's what it should have from the get go but maybe I'm just heavy-handed. :oops:

Be interested to hear others' experiences after 18 months.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

My experience after far more than 18 months is that I agree with you Colin, you're heavy handed. :wink:

On the dehumidifier front, yes Colin it is another desiccant type. I wouldn't use any other type because the performance drops off dramatically when the temperature drops below about 15 degrees C, which is pretty much all of the time outside of summer here in Blighty. Whereas the desiccant type works down to almost zero, although that is less likely to happen because they heat the air as it passes through so my garage remains at a tolerable temperature throughout the winter and only requires a heater when I'm working in it on the coldest of days.

Paul