Car Covers

289, FIA & Daytona topics
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Car Covers

Post by DavidP »

Hello,
As the title says - does anyone have / use a car cover?. I am looking for one which is for a garaged car so it doesn't need to be waterproof but i would like it beathable and tailored.
Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Roger King

Re: Car Covers

Post by Roger King »

David,

Mine all live under a selection of these:

https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/ ... 072-166508

Very soft and stretchy, no risk of scratching and breathable. They are not custom fitted, which I prefer as the cover allows air between car and cover. Custom tailored ones are too close a fit in my view.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Classic additions are 20 mins from me and yes have one too.
Have ordered a Carcoon for mine as it lives in a 200 year old barn and suffers a bit with condensation in the winter months, it is due early next week.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

There are numerous options to consider and of course how much you want to spend. I bought my tyvec ( breathable) type cover from one of the vendors at the Silverstone Classic. Sorry I can't locate the details.
Acts very well as a 'in garage' dust cover but thin so would not protect a knock. I think it was classed as suitable for a medium sized sports car. It has an elesticated bottom edge but remains loose fitting especially as I only have a single roll hoop. Less than £50 but that was a few years ago.
Peter C
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Just a word of caution on the Carcoon...For the first 18 months it served me really well... then the zip that allows entry/egress started to get stuck in places. Eventually the teeth got damaged and made the zip unworkable. I eventually glued Velcro over the zip (effectively replacing it) which has worked fine.

To be fair to the manufacturer they did offer to replace the zip... I just couldn't be bothered to take it all down, pack it and post it.

So treat that zip with kid gloves and a lot of respect Stu :wink:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
morgy

Post by morgy »

A big thumbs up for classic additions from me.. Even tho I had to send my cover back 3-4 times and had to have there trimmer out too to re-fit Re-trim the cover...
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Thank you for all the replies - looks like classic additions then.....
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

My car lives in a carcoon through the winter in a fairly basic garage. In Feb this year it was not in the carcoon as I was working on it. It was cold overnight but much warmer by lunchtime by the time I got to the garage to work on the car. I was staggered by the amount on condensation on every single part of the car. Engine, gearbox, chassis, everywhere inside, outside and underneath the car. It was drenched! Unless your garage is well insulated from changes in temperature, I'd heartily recommend a carcoon.
Simon
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...or a dehumidifier.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Dehumidifier is great if the garage is properly sealed, if not, you're just trying to dehumidify the outside world.........I have gaps everywhere in my garage so not an option for me.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.