IVA

289, FIA & Daytona topics
IainS

Re: IVA

Post by IainS »

I think the confusion relates to age related vs. retention of donor registration. Most Cobra builders will go for the two major items, axles (front and rear) and steering rack. All other parts must be new save the engine which must be reconditioned to as new. Using these two components the builder can apply for age related which means the reg number will be of the year, but not the same number as the donor. Concept is donor is incapable of being used again and indeed should be scrapped. If you use the 8 points basis you can transfer the reg number of the donor. This is the "re bodied" concept.

Iain
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Iain, I would tend to agree but for the fact that at the time DVLA said they would issue me a reg number of the same year as the donor but not the original one.
Heh ho it doesn't really matter now but it appears the rules are a little less strict that I have been led to believe.
Just waiting for the fall out from the FIVA shenanigans.
Peter C
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

IainS wrote:I think the confusion relates to age related vs. retention of donor registration. Most Cobra builders will go for the two major items, axles (front and rear) and steering rack. All other parts must be new save the engine which must be reconditioned to as new. Using these two components the builder can apply for age related which means the reg number will be of the year, but not the same number as the donor. Concept is donor is incapable of being used again and indeed should be scrapped. If you use the 8 points basis you can transfer the reg number of the donor. This is the "re bodied" concept.

Iain
For "Age related" you only need the 2 donor parts from a single donor vehicle. All the other major components can come from anywhere, and be of any age.
For a new (current) registration: all the majors must be brand new (not reconditioned) with the exception of one, which must be reconditioned to "as new" standard.
Most go for the engine as the reconditioned part because of emissions.

Back in the day the 8 points system also covered kit cars/kit conversions. I think it changed to the two majors around the time SVA was introduced.

It think????
To retain the donor registration you have to score at least 8 points, which is almost impossible without the body/chassis which is worth 5 points. ( can be new, but must be from the original manufacturer or a "Heritage" type reproduction.
In that system I think??? The points are...
Engine 1
Transmission 2
Axles (both) 2
Suspension 2
Steering 2