Hello - New member, Kent

289, FIA & Daytona topics
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Hello - New member, Kent

Post by StewbieC »

Which ones would fit for starters, gearstick position would be second, I'd suppose. Originality / usability.
It really depends if it will be a keeper or sell on later. Do you want to open the bonnet to impress?
I'd suggest you go and see Gerry before you plan to much and discuss options. You may get something in your head that turns out to be a none starter. JMHO

Post by Paul Blore »

Many people embark on a project like this with a mindset of not being too bothered about originality, but many (most?) of them, certainly on this forum, end up wanting it to be far closer to original than they initially intended. Part of the enjoyment of these cars is the period feel, which is a world apart from the vast majority of modern daily drivers.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi, Richard,
I echo Paul's and Stewbie's comment above. If you like the sleek sided Ace shape then getting down to Hawk cars will be the best place to start. I'm sure Gerry can advise what 0-60 time a 2.5 straight six will give you.
A newer BMW engine would of course provide potentially more performance and economy than an older Triumph unit but then it would not look very period when you lift the bonnet.
All depends on your priorities.
I built my Hawk Cobra with a 4.6 Rover V8 engine to save 80kgs in weight following advice at the time. It didn't take long to wish that I had used a Ford V8 as per the original Cobra. E.g. Note Paul's comment.
Peter C
RichardL

Post by RichardL »

Cheers - noted.

Thank you to everyone who has replied on this thread.
GBS Zero GT, Zetec 2.0
Build: May 2012 - June 2013 Links: http://richards-gbs-zero.blogspot.co.uk
kenv

Post by kenv »

Hi Richard, I'm a new member too, just ordered the 289 body, with Ace sides as described above and can't wait. Gerry is very helpful and of course knowledgeable and helped a lot with spec etc. I can't say much about the build experience yet but wish you good luck with your decision.
Regards
Ken
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:Many people embark on a project like this with a mindset of not being too bothered about originality, but many (most?) of them, certainly on this forum, end up wanting it to be far closer to original than they initially intended. Part of the enjoyment of these cars is the period feel, which is a world apart from the vast majority of modern daily drivers.

Paul
Be warned - this can be a very expensive journey.

Personally, I think that Ford-engined Hawk Ace that Nik posted is the best option I've ever seen. It really hits all the right bells. The Triumph would come a reasonably close second, with the added advantage of cost and overdrive options etc. I personally wouldn't use a BMW engine - I'd buy a Z4 instead. I don't want my classic fun sportscars to purr like an electronically-controlled modern which I can't fix without a laptop.