Winter newsletter

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Re: Winter newsletter

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:Unless a nice unmolested Facel Vega HK 500 happens to turn up and then all bets are absolutely off.
No such thing! Have you ever driven one? The Pont-au-Mousson gearbox was not a great success...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

No, I haven't Roger and I have absolutely no desire to do so - it's an auto all the way for a Facel; they should have stuck to building fridges, not gearboxes.

I've had enough of recalcitrant gearboxes - my two Moss equipped Jaguars this year have not been an automotive highlight and I can't wait to be once again grappling with a top loader...

The chances of a nice, origjnal Facel materializing are about as likely as Southern Rail operating a full service before Christmas.

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Marsh wrote:No, I haven't Roger and I have absolutely no desire to do so - it's an auto all the way for a Facel; they should have stuck to building fridges, not gearboxes.
Ah, that'll be the dear old Chrysler Torqueflite then. My 'J' series Interceptor had one of those, but a slightly bigger motor at 7.3.
Speaking of which, now there's a car I wouldn't mind repeating sometime...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

...and my C-V8 too.

Much missed, that car, but don't worry, I won't buy another; I only have eyes for one car right at this moment in time.

No pressure Dave :wink:
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

That's definitely the best solution Nik, and best value too :wink:
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

HELL YEAH!!!
That was worth the wait! Just gone cover to cover, what a great read. 8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

nikbj68 wrote:HELL YEAH!!!
That was worth the wait! Just gone cover to cover, what a great read. 8)
What do you mean? That was probably the shortest ever time interval between issues. :shock: :lol:

Well done Phil.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Newsletter is brilliant as ever, well done Phil!

A couple of little things I should clarify - due to my incompetent captioning, and nothing to do with Phil, the first two photos in my article are transposed. I think I should also explain the term 'differential diagnosis' - this is a medical technique and nothing to do with back axles. It simply means going down through a list of decreasingly likely causes of a problem and thereby identifying the most likely culprit.

Keep up at the back, Sparrow!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Similar to Ockham's Razor, which states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. :)

Paul
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Or as the old saying goes - I don't know the answer but I admire the problem. Well done indeed Phil and thank you once again for publishing my latest and previous ramblings. The stuff you do for the club is amazing. That will be my last contribution as a fully paid up member. Since I no longer have a Cobra (boo hoo), my main focus is now with Railton, Lea-Francis, Speed Record Club, VSCC and a couple of LSR projects. So much for retirement. But as a freshly minted non-member I will still lurk around the forum and be mildly abusive or encouraging as appropriate from time to time. I will also send Phil any copy that might come in handy to him. I have a couple of half formed articles that exist in outline along with notes for completing them, so I'll get those off to him in the new year for possible use. And remember the words of Kung Fu Panda's mentor Oogway "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it" So like Lee, I may well be back although my level of automotive promiscuity is no match for his :D
Merry Xmas (none of that Happy Holidays stuff) and a Happy New Year.

Cheers

Robin