typical Hawk 289 footbox?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
66gtk

typical Hawk 289 footbox?

Post by 66gtk »

Is this a typical arrangement for a HAWK?

catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66gtk

Re: typical Hawk 289 footbox?

Post by 66gtk »

Thanks. Curious about the big switch. High beam switch? All my other cars had small switch on the turn signal.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The large switch on upper left looks like the old style of foot operated dip switch. Having used that method on previously owned old cars I had considered adding that facility to my car but felt that the space available wasn't quite enough.
Up till now my dip switch has been a pull/ push switch on the dash close to the steering wheel. I am now trying to create the necessary bracket to mount the P6 stalk type dip / flasher switch which was used on the original road style Cobras. It will stick out through a 0.5" hole on the RH of the dash.
I don't see a problem if this switch is wired correctly and you find it doesn't get in the way of your foot when resting during normal driving.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The first footbox pic throttle pedal is the more 'correct'. Footdip will work, but original 289s had a separate toggle switch on the dash. The button on the indicator switch is for the horn. UK (COB) cars seem to have used a Rover P6 (2000 family) headlamp switch mounted through a hole in the dash, as this will give dip/dim and flash on one stalk.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

catsx11 wrote:this is mine:
Assuming that the foot pads on the brake and clutch line up with the ball of your foot, the pad on the throttle must be close to your instep, which can't be ideal. It would probably benefit from being raised a little to bring the pads in line.

It must also be next to impossible to heel & toe with the current arrangement and as everyone who does it knows, a perfectly timed down-change with a throttle blip, whist also braking is one of life's little joys. :wink: :lol:

Paul
66gtk

Post by 66gtk »

Thank you all. I found a nice Hawk available here in the states. There aren't many, as you may know. It's terribly high priced and been for sale for at least 2 years. As the new/used Superformance MKII cars become more plentiful (they still are fairly rare), they are looking more and more like a better option if the pricing starts coming down a bit. I had a chance at a nice affordable ERA slabside, and I know the build quality and ride is second to none. However, I can't get over the absent proper rocker belly profile.