Engine details required

289, FIA & Daytona topics
morgy

Engine details required

Post by morgy »

Hi

I am looking for someone who knows there stuff regarding the 320 thats in my car...
As always it seems i have an Odd engine, either ford motorsport 302 or custom built motor..

The engine number cast on the block is E2ZM-A4 82 mustang motorsport or Hollman moody motor? i've not been able to find out what the A4 means?

I have whipped of the rocker cover to find roller rockers with 351 1.6 SVO stamped on the blue ford motorsport rockers, The Heads have no casting numbers or part numbers stamped on the exterior but have a cast AR symbol, Allan Roots? JAF1947 cast inside..

Is it worth looking inside the sump to see what end caps are on the bottom end?

The inlet manifold is an Edelrbrock performance unit most likely aftermarket bolt on jobby

Another can of worms :lol:
Samthomasracing

Re: Engine details required

Post by Samthomasracing »

By the back of the engine above the bell housing, there is a channel which is milled out depending on what the block is, can you send a photo of it, or an over shot of the engine with sir cleaner removed should work.
When racing was dangerous and sex was safe....
morgy

Post by morgy »

ImageIMG_5389 by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Maybe I need my glasses, but that looks blank to me. Mine has some numbers and letters stamped there, but I identified my block from the casting number down behind the starter motor.
morgy

Post by morgy »

Hi Andrew

I have searched the Cast number E2ZM-A4 also looking at a fuzzy photo assembly stamped 2C* * All i can come up with is E2=1982 Z=mustang M=motorsport or hollman moody A4????

The Ally heads have no external stamps or cast part numbers, Internally it has AR.. Alan Roots??
ImageIMG_5379 by mark.morgan07, on Flickr

Also JAF1947
ImageIMG_5378 by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I'll do some digging and see what I can find in some books. The 'AR' on the heads is probably Airflow Research, maybe?

Cheers,
Andy

Edit: Actually, scratch that - they abbreviate to AFR, by the looks of things.
morgy

Post by morgy »

ImageIMG_5386 by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
morgy

Post by morgy »

From a search these are AR Alan roots heads...
ImageAR head leaflet by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
ImageAr head stripped by mark.morgan07, on Flickr
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I don't know much at all about the later engines, but I can tell you that you have a 1982 SVO-style 302ci Ford Motorsport A4 block. As far as I know these were used as the basis for competition engines and could be highly modified to give anything up to (maybe over?) 1000 FWHP, thereby demonstrating the might of the SBF. I suspect this would be an 'engineering' part, i.e. not from any specific model but sold as a tuning component. Yours may well have come from a competition Mustang as a used unit, as I can't see anyone building an engine like that specifically for a Cobra in the eighties - I think it's more likely a drag racing motor. The problem with this, if I'm right, would be ascertaining what has been done to it. I don't think it's a simple 'off the shelf 302' matter. If it's the one you're selling I think you'd find a much bigger market in the US for it.

I found this thread on the Alan Root SBF heads, which appear to have been very early aftermarket aluminium heads from the eighties -

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/ ... ds.766890/

Looks like they'd give a bit more power, similar to Edelbrock Performers. I'm sure a bit of googling would reveal more.
morgy

Post by morgy »

Hi Roger

Yes it is the one i have up for sale, I am just trying to find out more about it so i Don't over or under sell the motor or just simply sell it as something it is not.
I spent hours googling this engine so far, :roll:
I doubt it was a drag engine :wink: it pulls nice but its hardly a crap yourself powerhouse!!

I'm sure what ever spec this motor is it would suit someone building a nice Cobra..