Engine details required

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Re: Engine details required

Post by Roger King »

Yes, from what I can find it's an aftermarket performance block (similar to the FMS Sportsman 351W block in my Mustang) - but whilst they could be built up into huge HP engines, that doesn't mean they all were. It would be interesting to know what the mains caps arrangement is as many A4s had 4- or 6-bolted mains, it depends who you believe. There may have been different 'levels' of A4 block as well. Basically as long as it's not bored out to the limits etc. it should be the basis of an excellent, if not really original Cobra engine. Although I guess the A4 blocks look pretty much like other 302s externally it should look pretty close to correct. And, let's face it, not one of us has a truly original engine. We'd have to have an original Cobra for that to be the case.

edit - have you asked Bob and the boys?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119417

Worth registering and posting on that forum. Replies can be a bit slow but there is a real wealth of knowledge on there.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

For some reason I've never come across that forum before - thanks for sharing Roger.

Edit: Very glad we don't run the same forum software they use though!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:For some reason I've never come across that forum before - thanks for sharing Roger.

Edit: Very glad we don't run the same forum software they use though!
They are my generation, Andrew!
I have had technical help from Bob and his mates to a degree I wouldn't have believed possible. They have lived and breathed these engines since they were new, in daily drivers, vans, hot rods, racing cars and (to a surprisingly large degree) boats of all kinds. What they don't know about carburetted pushrod American V8s simply isn't there to be known. There's an equivalent forum for FEs too.
You'll find quite a few threads of mine on there...
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Roger King wrote: They are my generation, Andrew!
I have had technical help from Bob and his mates to a degree I wouldn't have believed possible. They have lived and breathed these engines since they were new, in daily drivers, vans, hot rods, racing cars and (to a surprisingly large degree) boats of all kinds. What they don't know about carburetted pushrod American V8s simply isn't there to be known. There's an equivalent forum for FEs too.
You'll find quite a few threads of mine on there...
I did notice that rsk289 featured in quite a few threads! Looking forward to reading all this - I'm guessing Bob Mannel is the Bob you're referring to? The author of this? http://www.fordsmallblock.com
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

No, the guy who operates the forum is a Bob, not Mr Mannel. Whilst every 289 owner interested in any degree of originality should have a copy of that book, it stops at '69 so will not help with SVO or A4 any later engine. The Windsor forum is pretty broad and they have a lot of knowledge between them. Bob runs the forum pretty much single-handed so response times etc. can be a bit slow, but it's well worth the wait.