For sale (again)

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Marsh

For sale (again)

Post by Marsh »

Interesting to see this Cobra up for sale once more.

http://www.juliensumner.com/full-details.php?code=119

I recall seeing this quite recently via Duncan Hamilton & Co, but with the registration number 222UBX. What a fabulous looking thing it is!

It was featured in Classic and Sportscar magazine in advance of being put up for sale via Coys in 2013. I could be wrong, but I think this is that same car, but with a new registration number and a fairly significant price increase from the £185k it realised at the time - Nik knows all about this one; it has enjoyed an exciting and colourful life, has it not, Nik?

On the basis of this asking price, those with Kirkham or DB' 427's may want to adjust their insurance valuations a little :wink:

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: For sale (again)

Post by Roger King »

Its provenance is indeed fascinating - see the thread about it on the ACOC forum. 'Nightmare of 427 provenance' might be a clue...
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Roger King wrote:Its provenance is indeed fascinating - see the thread about it on the ACOC forum. 'Nightmare of 427 provenance' might be a clue...
I read the ACOC strand last night, but wanted to be respectful on this forum. It's always interesting to see how such cars are then described when they're put up for sale - I recall that when the car was being marketed by Coys, its' description was a little more colourful than it is now, which may have been a salient factor in its' non sale at the time.

When it last sold for a reputed £185k in 2013/14, that was possibly good value and I'm surprised the owner didn't buy it as a long term proposition and just enjoy it, as in reality, a car with mixed provenance will always be so and just squirrelling it away for a couple of years isn't going to take the problem away.

Mind you, even with such a clouded history, it remains an exceptionally desirable car, but £400k+ desirable? Possibly not.

L
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Marsh wrote:Interesting to see this Cobra up for sale once more- Nik knows all about this one; it has enjoyed an exciting and colourful life, has it not, Nik? L
Knows all about? Only what I've read, as per the DH blurb & ACOC 'Nightmare' thread.
Saw it at Cholmondeley in 2012, very nice...it remains an exceptionally desirable car... Etc. :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Marsh wrote:...
It was featured in Classic and Sportscar magazine in advance of being put up for sale via Coys in 2013.
Is it the one in the wiki reading list - C&SC from 1999? http://wiki.the289register.com/lib/exe/ ... 99905.jpeg

Maybe it is the one from C&SC 2012 - 'Cobra at 50', where they compare a red 289 with a red 427 - which I just realised isn't in the list yet... Must do something about that.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

amulheirn wrote:
Marsh wrote:...
It was featured in Classic and Sportscar magazine in advance of being put up for sale via Coys in 2013.
Is it the one in the wiki reading list - C&SC from 1999? http://wiki.the289register.com/lib/exe/ ... 99905.jpeg

Maybe it is the one from C&SC 2012 - 'Cobra at 50', where they compare a red 289 with a red 427 - which I just realised isn't in the list yet... Must do something about that.
Quite right - Cobra at 50 it was, though with a different registration number at that time.

Nik - I hope you didn't think I was inferring that you had a hand in the car's 'interesting' history - that was due to my clumsy wording of my original post. What I should have said was that you were part of the previous posting history, so my apologies for causing consternation; I know you're as honest as the day is long. :D

Lee
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Marsh wrote:Nik... I hope you didn't think I was inferring that you had a hand in the car's 'interesting' history...my apologies for causing consternation; I know you're as honest as the day is long. :D Lee
I hadn't even considered that you meant I had a hand in the car's history...now I am retrospectively offended! :shock:

:P
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Retrospectively offended isn't allowed! :D
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Post-gruntlement then?! :D
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Post gruntlement is the permanent state in which I exist Nik!