289, FIA & Daytona topics
ianhunter
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ianhunter »

Hi!

Just thought I would introduce myself as a new member for 2017!

I love all things Cobra, have done since I was a small boy and for 15 years I dreamt of building my own replica, not only not being able to afford a real one, I actually wanted to build my own car. Research got serious through the late 90s and early 00s, when fate intervened and I fell in love. I was at Factory Five Racing's Factory in Wareham MA in the States at the time. My tongue fell out and my Credit Card was handed over. 6 weeks later, the best Christmas present I ever had arrived at home in a large box. That was 2005.

I was so excited, I thought I can't be the only idiot in the UK that thinks that this is the best thing since sliced bread - turns out I was! We tried to make a business of bringing the cars in from the States, but various things conspired against us and and we closed it down. Shame.

Since then, apart from enjoying the car on the road and going to various Shows, I have started doing a few Track Days and have circulated round Castle Combe, Goodwood, Spa and The Circuit de Bretagne near Nantes. Epic! Hopefully, 2017 will also include Zolder.

In 2014, I was at the Le Mans Classic and I got a tap on the shoulder and there was a guy we had sold a Daytona Coupe to 7 years prior. I asked him how the car was and he told me he had yet to open the box! To cut a long story short, I bought it back off him and it is now at home in the garage. Nedlees to say, the box has been opened and the car is now a rolling frame. Completion Target - Le Mans Classic 2018? Not sure!

Well that's my life story! I look forward to meeting up with some of you at some point during the year and chatting here on the Forum.

Best regards

Ian
AC Cobra 427 S/C Replica by Factory Five Racing, USA - First in UK and RHD. Ford 393W with Edelbrock RPM Performer = 475 bhp.

Just started Replica Daytona Coupe also by FFR, chassis now right hand drive and powder coated.
morgy

Re: Newbie

Post by morgy »

Welcome...

Lovely looking cars!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Welcome Ian.

We have a number of events planned during the year that you'd be very welcome to join us at. The biggest meet is probably the Silverstone Classic in July, which is also where we hold our AGM.

I'll also be hosting our Summer Barbecue again over the Le Mans 24 Hours weekend at our home in Leicestershire. We had a great evening on the Saturday with a large TV showing live coverage of the race, good food and great company as well as a pretty good collection of cars on the lawn.
Many people stayed over, one way or another and we all then went for a drive on some great roads on Sunday morning before returning for a barbecue lunch.

We also run an annual Road Trip each May, but you need to get in quick because it gets booked up almost immediately. This is a long weekend somewhere in the UK. We stay at a nice hotel, enjoy the usual great food & company and go for drives to interesting places.

This isn't the usual "blokey" type of club and your wife/partner would be very welcome. In fact, many of our members, myself included, are Joint Members with their partner/wife/husband/etc.

Regards,
Paul
the289admin
T289R Forum Admin
T289R Forum Admin

Post by the289admin »

Welcome Ian - I've just moved you into the 'T289R Member' group of the forum, so you now have access to the Members' Area on the homepage, and also to wiki.the289register.com. The wiki is a collaborative database of information that you can edit yourself - would be glad of any contributions you can make, whether FFR-related or not!

Cheers,
the289admin
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Welcome, Ian!

I might just pinch your story and photos for the next T289R newsletter if that's okay with you?

Cheers,
Phil
ianhunter
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ianhunter »

Phil - That's no problem at all!

Paul - I've put your summer BBQ in the diary along with the Silverstone Classic!

Best regards

Ian
AC Cobra 427 S/C Replica by Factory Five Racing, USA - First in UK and RHD. Ford 393W with Edelbrock RPM Performer = 475 bhp.

Just started Replica Daytona Coupe also by FFR, chassis now right hand drive and powder coated.