289 Ace for sale...

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Marsh

289 Ace for sale...

Post by Marsh »

There's a 289 engined Ace up for sale at Daniel Donovan via Car and Classic

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C833266

A nice looking car, perhaps excepting the steering wheel; very discrete.

It looks great on those narrow wheels and tyres, but one wonders how it would handle, with all that power under the bonnet.

Great colour too - that would nice on a 'street Cobra. I'm thinking.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
Roger King

Re: 289 Ace for sale...

Post by Roger King »

Interesting... having examined many an Ace's original suspension pickups, chassis frames etc. I would be concerned over whether or not they could handle that kind of torque. The early Cobras were significantly beefed up over the standard Ace design, and if you remember even they were famous for fractured hubs etc. and losing wheels. This may have had chassis and upright upgrades, I suppose, but for me that would reduce its appeal and value. A Ford or Bristol-engined Ace is a beautifully balanced device - I suspect this is not!
morgy

Post by morgy »

Give a Bristol Ace over that any day...
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

morgy wrote:Give a Bristol Ace over that any day...
Yes, as reflected in the values.
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

In its' current specification, I suspect that it will always be a difficult sell, as it's neither fish nor fowl as it stands, yet at almost £200k, it would be a rather large outlay for something of an oddball (albeit a desirable oddball) car that will require significant investment to bring it back to original, with no real possibility that it will yield a return in the medium term, even in this currently 'interesting' market.

To put an appropriately tuned Bristol engine back in (and in all likelihood probably not the original one at that), will likely equate to £50-£60k total cost and without that original period correct spec, it won't be truly welcomed to attend the premium events which an Ace really should.

My personal feeling is that the market has definitely softened and any cars marketed over £100k by dealers aren't shifting quite so readily as they were; and even original, matching numbers cars that are supposedly 'hot to trot', such as 3.8 litre E types (to select an entirely random example), aren't selling quite as quickly as they were in the Autumn; that's my personal experience at least...

..and here's hoping for a positive change in that particular position as there are Cobra's to be bought!

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim