Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Paul Blore

Re: Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

Post by Paul Blore »

I'd question whether it actually is a "Continuation" car. Continuation of what? I'm not aware of any slab-side 289's that were built on Daytona chassis for example.
I think its credentials are at best, questionable.
The spinners would suggest that the wheels are pin-drive, when a slab-side 289 should have splined hubs. It's neither fish nor foul. :?

There are much better cars for sale than this one if you have that kind of budget available.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Shelby would stick his name on anything, so a T-shirt could be a 'continuation car' in SAI parlance!

This car is downright weird. I've no idea what the builder was aiming for - but a/c in an open Cobra????? Unless that's not a Sanden compressor, but it sure looks like one to me... quote from the advert text: '[the details] are correct with none of the jarring introduction of modern componentry that so often ruins such projects.'
Oh dear.
Last edited by Roger King on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:It's neither fish nor foul. :?
I disagree Paul, it is one of those options. Unless you meant 'fowl'?
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

Roger King wrote:I've no idea what the builder was aiming for - but a/c in an open Cobra????? Unless that's not a Sanden compressor, but it sure looks like one to me...
Yes it has air-con - it came from Arizona, so for the foot wells during the very hot summer months apparently.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, value, for me, as a very personal opinion? £40 - 50k, at a push. I do think some of these advertisers should be held to account. This is downright misleading in my opinion - they need to define 'continuation' as meaning 'the same general shape at first glance but with a Shelby chassis plate'. To imply that this car has similar parts to an original slabside is not fair. They have not made clear that chassis, suspension, engine (and almost certainly gearbox), wheels, brakes, etc. are not as ever fitted to any 'slabside' (i.e. leafspring) Cobra in period.

I'd far rather have a well-built f'glass Hawk with the correct bits. It's another case of each to his own, really. I don't see why the fact that Shelby has rivetted a plate to it puts 100k on the value.

Just realised I've ranted on this car before, when it was 170k:

viewtopic.php?t=2734

I mean, I know this is a 427, but it's only 100k, for heaven's sake:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C628810
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:
Paul Blore wrote:It's neither fish nor foul. :?
I disagree Paul, it is one of those options. Unless you meant 'fowl'?
Doh! :oops:
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Nice looking engine spec, but I certainly wouldn't want to use this to replace, say for example, an AC 212SC... :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

nikbj68 wrote:Nice looking engine spec, but I certainly wouldn't want to use this to replace, say for example, an AC 212SC... :wink:
And who would buy a car like the 212 S/C - it's got the wrong engine etc etc.....!

So CSX8001 - no-love here then! To think it's worth 40-50k is laughable though - no matter what you think about Shelby Continuations, an Aluminum bodied car with this spec may not be worth £150k, but how much would a Kirkham with this spec cost to build?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Duggan wrote:
nikbj68 wrote:Nice looking engine spec, but I certainly wouldn't want to use this to replace, say for example, an AC 212SC... :wink:
And who would buy a car like the 212 S/C - it's got the wrong engine etc etc.....!

So CSX8001 - no-love here then! To think it's worth 40-50k is laughable though - no matter what you think about Shelby Continuations, an Aluminum bodied car with this spec may not be worth £150k, but how much would a Kirkham with this spec cost to build?
I emphasised that that was a personal opinion. To me, for my purposes, that is what it's worth. I dare say the market will cough up a lot more. And the thing with classic cars is, it doesn't matter what they cost to build - what matters is what someone is prepared to pay for it.
...and I still feel that to claim this car has a 'date-code correct' engine is misleading, at best. A '65 K-code is a 6-bolt bellhousing Mustang engine. All slabside Cobras, except a very few automatics, had the earlier 5-bolt bellhousing block, a very different casting with the appropriate, different, date code.
Last edited by Roger King on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Duggan wrote:To think it's worth 40-50k is laughable though
Have to agree there .... it may not be worth 150 but 40-50 is well off the mark. I've seen glass bodied continuations sell for 100-120 with 302's fitted.
The car itself is not my cup of tea as it stands but could be made to look really nice with a few tweaks.
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold