Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Marsh

Re: Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

Post by Marsh »

Hmmm,

I don't really know what to say about this car; it's certainly not my cup or tea (or too many others on the forum, judging by their comments), as it's just such an odd looking thing, engine bay notwithstanding.

As Paul says, it's neither fish nor fowl; and for the window price that this car is carrying, it need to either finest Scottish salmon or guinea and it is sadly neither!

If you're looking for something that's evocative of the period, then this car would need significant investment to bring it back to an accurate specification and as it stands, it's certainly not a wise investment, given the initial outlay.

In terms of what it's actually worth; well, as others have said, it's very much down to what you're prepared to pay for it, but you'd have to like it sufficiently to want to keep it, as the market doesn't favour cars such as this, which means it would be very difficult to sell on, as is the case.

Even with the Shelby connection, it's probably not enough to make this car genuinely desirable and retail, it's probably worth closer to £120k, possibly less.

If you have the budget, you'd be much better off searching for a Kirkham, a suitably back dated MkIV or even a DB - many members on the forum have taken one of these routes.

If you could secure it for less than £100k and then be prepared to invest in calming it down, it might be worthy of investigation, but as others have said, there are nicer cars out there for potentially less, IMHO of course.

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Is this actually your car by any chance as you seem a bit "protective" regarding the comments made, especially so after asking for thoughts on it. If you Google search it, you'll find that it first went up for sale in 2014 and so far hasn't found its "forever home". Maybe there's a reason for that ??? :wink:
Nige
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

agnoraan wrote:Is this actually your car by any chance as you seem a bit "protective" regarding the comments made, especially so after asking for thoughts on it. If you Google search it, you'll find that it first went up for sale in 2014 and so far hasn't found its "forever home". Maybe there's a reason for that ??? :wink:
Nige
Ah the Internet Conspiritor :mrgreen:

Certainly not protective on comments, just can't see a bid of £40-50k on a £150k sticker is where the market is for Ali bodied cars. Appreciate the comments though as I need to understand what makes this market tick and you guys certainly know the cars very well.

I'm pretty open on cars I have - Duggan is my username on PH - as Nik pointed out I've had a AC 212 S/C before and being such an anorak/enthusiast, I'm sure I'd have let slip that I own this :D

So if this isn't the one - what Ali 289s are out there? Please don't say the Bill Shepard Shelby Continuation FIA car - the sticker price would make your teeth itch :oops:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Duggan wrote:
agnoraan wrote:Is this actually your car by any chance as you seem a bit "protective" regarding the comments made, especially so after asking for thoughts on it. If you Google search it, you'll find that it first went up for sale in 2014 and so far hasn't found its "forever home". Maybe there's a reason for that ??? :wink:
Nige
Ah the Internet Conspiritor :mrgreen:

Certainly not protective on comments, just can't see a bid of £40-50k on a £150k sticker is where the market is for Ali bodied cars. Appreciate the comments though as I need to understand what makes this market tick and you guys certainly know the cars very well.

I'm pretty open on cars I have - Duggan is my username on PH - as Nik pointed out I've had a AC 212 S/C before and being such an anorak/enthusiast, I'm sure I'd have let slip that I own this :D

So if this isn't the one - what Ali 289s are out there? Please don't say the Bill Shepard Shelby Continuation FIA car - the sticker price would make your teeth itch :oops:
If you'd care to read my post again, I stated that in my personal opinion that's what I consider it to be worth, not where I think the market is for ali bodied cars. Nobody else, just me. And I still do.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

The CSX8000 cars seem to go for $90-120,000 with fibreglass bodies, and they at least look right(-ish), But for $115,000 you could have THIS KIRKHAM, but then you have to ship it over, IVA it...
If only there was someone in this country who could put an Ali 289 on the road for, like, half the price of 8001... :?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

For what it's worth I'll put in my penny worth.
Joe public would always look for a Shelby connection so a continuation model from the factory however tenuous in purists eyes will always command more money. Just the same as some Cobra replicas from certain suppliers are worth more than from others. I won't upset anyone by divulging my individual thoughts.

If it costs circa £120k to build a decent Kirkham then this particular model would be worth more. How much more is the big debate. Bearing in mind the value of older originals then £150k might seem a bargain.

Clearly as indicated in numerous comments above that the value of each car is down to the individual. The depth of their finances and their individual perception of the cars provenance.

One thing you can be certain of is ask 10 people and you you will get 10 different answers.
So Duggan go and enjoy the car knowing that not only do you love it but it happens to come from a Shelby factory which ours don't !
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Peter,

I doubt you'd be able to build a "decent" Kirkham for £120k now.

Most of the Shelby "Continuation" cars have been built by Kirkham, but I suspect that this particular car pre-dates that arrangement.

Whilst it has a CSX chassis number, I have some concerns about the relevance and the "Daytona" chassis is puzzling.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

You couldn`t use all of the tubing required for a Daytona on a Roadster, but there might be some gains in rigidity, I don`t really have a problem with that... at least he didn`t go 4" main tubes & coilsprung!
My only issues are that the body, interior & wheels look wrong, a fact that was no doubt not lost on SAI, hence NONE of the other 8000 series cars look like that. having made the 4000 & 7000 series already, it is odd that this one is so far from the mark, but hey, it was a 'first off', lessons learned, move on.
It could be put right, for a price...
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I've just priced up a 289 FIA with transverse leaf suspension on the Kirkham website with the options you'd probably want and it comes in at just over $150k. By the time you have added shipping, import duty and VAT, you're very close to £170k.

You could save a few pounds here or there, but whichever way you cut it, it's going to be over £150k, probably even £160k.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Interesting. Another sales website has posted photos of the original Shelby certificates relating to this car. It seems to have been supplied through the late Enzo Alibrandi of Finish Line, in '97. Interestingly neither Shelby certificate makes any reference to 'continuation car'. This car is described throughout as 'the Shelby Cobra 289 Street Roadster Component Vehicle'. The second document is a 'Statement of origin for a CSX8000 series component vehicle.' This describes this 'component vehicle [as] consisting of the parts and components listed on [the] invoice'. It also states that the car was sold by SAI without engine or transmission, but has the model year 1965.
I can't see any evidence of a UK registration number - does it have one? I know the dealer says it has an MOT, but you don't have to have a registration number for that. If it's registered here, It'd be interesting to know what as. If it isn't, then I think I'd suggest buyer beware - because to me, that SAI certification reads like either a kit constructed car or some kind of replica, using parts supplied by SAI. I have no idea what DVSA would make of it - or indeed might in the future if 'the historic registration storm' picks up again.
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=86201