Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

Re: Shelby 289 CSX8001 - Price?

Post by agnoraan »

Duggan wrote:- what Ali 289s are out there? Please don't say the Bill Shepard Shelby Continuation FIA car - the sticker price would make your teeth itch :oops:
Give Dave Brookes a shout, he might be able to help you :wink:

http://www.v8cobra.com/home.html

https://www.facebook.com/DB-Replicas-183387568406503/

Nige
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

Roger King wrote:
Duggan wrote:
agnoraan wrote:Is this actually your car by any chance as you seem a bit "protective" regarding the comments made, especially so after asking for thoughts on it. If you Google search it, you'll find that it first went up for sale in 2014 and so far hasn't found its "forever home". Maybe there's a reason for that ??? :wink:
Nige
Ah the Internet Conspiritor :mrgreen:

Certainly not protective on comments, just can't see a bid of £40-50k on a £150k sticker is where the market is for Ali bodied cars. Appreciate the comments though as I need to understand what makes this market tick and you guys certainly know the cars very well.

I'm pretty open on cars I have - Duggan is my username on PH - as Nik pointed out I've had a AC 212 S/C before and being such an anorak/enthusiast, I'm sure I'd have let slip that I own this :D

So if this isn't the one - what Ali 289s are out there? Please don't say the Bill Shepard Shelby Continuation FIA car - the sticker price would make your teeth itch :oops:
If you'd care to read my post again, I stated that in my personal opinion that's what I consider it to be worth, not where I think the market is for ali bodied cars. Nobody else, just me. And I still do.

Roger - I only wish that this was the case, but sadly it's not :(
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

Roger King wrote:Interesting. Another sales website has posted photos of the original Shelby certificates relating to this car. It seems to have been supplied through the late Enzo Alibrandi of Finish Line, in '97. Interestingly neither Shelby certificate makes any reference to 'continuation car'. This car is described throughout as 'the Shelby Cobra 289 Street Roadster Component Vehicle'. The second document is a 'Statement of origin for a CSX8000 series component vehicle.' This describes this 'component vehicle [as] consisting of the parts and components listed on [the] invoice'. It also states that the car was sold by SAI without engine or transmission, but has the model year 1965.
I can't see any evidence of a UK registration number - does it have one? I know the dealer says it has an MOT, but you don't have to have a registration number for that. If it's registered here, It'd be interesting to know what as. If it isn't, then I think I'd suggest buyer beware - because to me, that SAI certification reads like either a kit constructed car or some kind of replica, using parts supplied by SAI. I have no idea what DVSA would make of it - or indeed might in the future if 'the historic registration storm' picks up again.
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=86201
It is uk registered as an AC
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hmm. Playing devil's advocate, which I seem to be getting a name for, I'd have a concern or two about that.
If the government go back to trying to define a 'historic' (which they still are, actually, it's just gone a bit quiet with all the present fuss), they have stated that they will take advice from the relevant owners' clubs regarding provenance. Which is, frankly, very sensible, as far as it goes, and should bode well in principle for historic vehicle owners. However, this could well mean that at some time the owner of this car will have to approach the ACOC, as the recognised club for cars registered as ACs, for certification that this car was built by AC in 1965. I'd be very surprised if the ACOC would do this, as they are very protective of the Cobra as having been built at Thames Ditton - well, certainly the 1965 cars. They will know it is nothing of the sort and has no connection with AC Cars at all. I just think whoever buys this needs to bear that possibility in mind.
It's a pity it wasn't registered in the UK as a Shelby - that would have been more straightforward, with evidence possible from the manufacturer as SAI existed in 1965 and still exists in some form. They are unlikely to accept a letter from SAI that a 'component vehicle' is actually an AC.

Don't forget, FIVA and the Historic Roadworthiness Directive have not gone away and they are nothing to do with the EU, so won't go away anytime soon. Personal tastes, values, markets etc. aside with this car, I'd want to satisfy myself that there will be no issues arising over its provenance.

I'll say it again - everything I have posted in this thread is entirely and only my personal opinion and should not be taken as being from an authority (which I'm not), or as 'advice'!!
morgy

Post by morgy »

No matter what people think on forums about the looks of the car the One thing I would ask my self is How long has this been for sale? Good cars will get snapped up quickly sh1tters linger on the net for years getting passed from one dealer to another... Would you be happy waiting 4-5-6 years to sell it if you had too?? seeing as it has dropped from 170 down to 100k thats one kick in the balls!!!! I had been looking for 2-3 years for a COB car of the 4 that cropped up in those years two are still for sale!

If i had £100k to spend today I think I would place my cash in either a nice Low miles AC MK IV where the price is increasing slowly or Good Hawk/Kirkham Or a really tatty AC ace or an AC Aceca
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Ditto!
All what he done said. :roll: :D
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote: If the government go back to trying to define a 'historic' (which they still are, actually, it's just gone a bit quiet with all the present fuss)
I believe that the Governments' decison regarding the proposals for VHI's (Vehicles of Historical Interest) is to be announced next month Rog
Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Cheers Nige - oh good, can't wait

See - that's why I won't use emojis - how do you express bitter loathing* coupled with an element of abject sarcasm in a little cartoon face?

*not for you Nige, obviously
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hows this Rog, :evil: :roll: ....... :lol:

Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Not the same. I prefer the old tunes...