Car tax

289, FIA & Daytona topics
allan horsfall

Car tax

Post by allan horsfall »

Hi Guys,

My son has just phoned to say that car tax is due to take a significant hike in April. Announcement due shortly.

Sorry about that and I'll bet you were all having a nice day!!!

Allan
Marsh

Re: Car tax

Post by Marsh »

Thanks for that Allan, I'll get that kidney on ebay then...

Lee
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
IainS

Post by IainS »

I understand the system is moving to more of a luxury car tax, there's a flat rate for all existing emissions bands (so obviously winners and losers) but then a significant premium for five years for new registrations after April 1st on cars over I think £40k

Given our cars are usually anomalies when it comes to VED and so generally fit into specials and light commercial vehicles.... we wait to see what the rates will be....

Iain
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

They have already been doubling the VED for the first year on the more expensive cars. I expect it is going to move the threshold down so more punters are trapped.
Having introduced a sliding scale of lower tax to encourage newer cars having less emissions they are probably are not getting enough cash in so they need to change the rules again.
It will be interesting to see how older cars (pre emission rating ) will be treated as this will be the most important category for our cars.
I wouldn't mind so much if the money was actually spent on the roads. I haven't seen any reduction in pot holes round our area yet.
As they say the three things in life that are guaranteed. Birth, death and taxes.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

This topic has been banded around a fair bit. I think you'll find that correctly registered versions of our cars with visual smoke emissions will see no significant hike. Mine was paid a couple of days ago and I saw no increase.
If you buy a new luxury car with a big engine it's gunna smart! :shock:

Post by Paul Blore »

Interestingly, the size of the engine or the emissions appear to play little or no part in how much tax you pay on new premium cars under the new scheme. Some of you may recall that I was considering buying a Tesla and I was told that if I bought one after April, the new taxes would apply. I believe the threshold is £40k as has already been quoted, which isn't really "premium" territory these days.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

My Abarth 124, first registered in Dec '16, cost £145. The bands are currently aligned with CO2 emissions measured in g/km, and at 148g/km the Fiat Multiair 1.4 turbo is in band F. Under the new banding, the same car would be £200 for its first year and £140 for subsequent years.

After 1st April (how appropriate), the price of the car will be irrelevant for the first year, as tax is to be caluclated entirely on emissions. For the second year onwards, tax is calculated entirely on the original new price.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/buying/ ... lete-guide

Interestingly a Tesla would be £0 for its first year, but £310 thereafter, and quite right too - it's still using the road (although bizarrely there is a suggestion in the text that it will revert to £0 when 5 years old). It seems the way to win is to buy a new Mustang, which has high emissions but costs less than £40k, producing a net gain. Worth noting that there are strong moves afoot to penalise diesels much more heavily - better late than never, I guess!