Steering wheel centre trim clips

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Steering wheel centre trim clips

Post by Roger King »

Has anyone found a source for the three tiny spring edge clips that hold the plastic 'AC' trim in the centre of the steering wheel? Two of mine are broken and I don't fancy using silicone sealer to hold the trim in place. They're really small...

Roger
Paul Blore

Re: Steering wheel centre trim clips

Post by Paul Blore »

They must be used in other things, as I can't imagine them being unique to AC.

A quick search on Google comes up with quite a few caps that appear to use the same clips, including MGA's.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:They must be used in other things, as I can't imagine them being unique to AC.

A quick search on Google comes up with quite a few caps that appear to use the same clips, including MGA's.
Afraid they're not - the MGA clip is over twice the size with even-length 'legs'. The AC clip is really small at only 4mm deep for the long leg, 2mm for the short leg.

Anyone?
Last edited by Roger King on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I made my own out of metal banding. (Fortunate to have 1left as a pattern.)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The originals are spring steel, inner (non-barbed) flange is 2mm deep, barbed flange is 4mm deep, 'square' section folds (not 'u') and the clip is 6mm long. Very fiddly to make in spring steel - how did you cut the barbs, at only 1mm long? Any chance of a photo, Nik?
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Morning Roger,

I had a similar problem when I lost one taking the boss off, tried all the obvious routes but no success. Fortunately I found the original one, but was left with the distinct impression that suppliers of the AC boss's and steering wheels had been warned off supplying them to none authorised users, by the AC name geezer?
Good luck in sourcing one and Im sure we would all be interested in adding to your order. Tiny item, but a real b----r to do without.

Allan
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Have you thought of phoning Mota Lita? They might know who makes the clips. Alternatively Finishline as they seem to be able to get hold of bits where others fail. Or Gerry?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Motolita make their own centre horn push for their wheels, so I don't think they'll have parts for an item they don't make. Finishline no longer list this item - they haven't since Enzo died as the range has become much more mainstream. All their steering wheel centre pieces now come with 'strong adhesive backing'. Similarly I can't see Gerry stocking them as he doesn't supply this style of centre - I think the best bet will be to get onto Bresco or similar and ask if they have a lead, or would be prepared to give details of a supplier to allow further investigation.
The only supplier of this style of centre at the moment seems to be 'cobrakurtz' on ebay.de, whom I have contacted to see if he can supply. I'll report back if I get lucky!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I punched the notches out then bent the clip around a former I made.
Next time I'm in the garage, I'll take my original off, knock up a new former, and make a handful of clips. :)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!