Driveability

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Samthomasracing

Re: Driveability

Post by Samthomasracing »

Paul Blore wrote:
Samthomasracing wrote:We are currently building a 427 coil spring car to race in FIA championships, FIA are happy along as a car competed in an International FIA event, so can't be a 10 lap sprint at Spa but more like 1000km of Nurburgring or Sebring etc etc. This is how TVR Griffiths race at an FIA level now. Note their reintroduction to Goodwood this year.

I'd stay away from sticky tyres on Cobras, even on slicks the power will always break through the tyres & if the tyres are too sticky the car will become very nervous on corner entry and it will twitch on exit, we set them up to slide which is the fastest way in these old cars, set the nose up before the corner, steer with the throttle. Blockley tyres are really good, a lot of people run the Avon tyres too, i can get serial numbers if anyone wants to try them out.

Shock absorber revalving, spring rates & anti roll bars are key on these cars, there's a weight percentage which can be calculated, and makes the car extremely planted especially on the roads.

Saying this, isn't all the fun in oversteer out of roundabouts ?
I'll be really interested to see how that goes Sam. I believe the 427 Cobras raced in the FIA Sports category in period, which put them directly up against the likes of McLarens, Chaparrals and GT40's etc.

Did you watch Top Gear last night Roger? They test drove an electric car that was specifically designed to hang the tail out. :)
Hi Paul

Yes homologated December 3rd 1965 in the over 2ltr Group 4, also allowed to run in pre66 FIA events now such as Goodwood Revival / Members meeting, Silverstone Classic etc so very much looking forward to that.
When racing was dangerous and sex was safe....
Samthomasracing

P.S Paul you're welcome anytime at the workshop.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Thank you, I will definitely take you up on that. :)

It will be fascinating to see how competitive 427 Cobras are against some of the other more established cars. It will probably take a little while to iron out the wrinkles and bring them up to date, but I would expect a well sorted 427 to be quick from the outset. 8)

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

If they were homologated in 1965, why didn't they start racing then? Overshadowed by the GT40, I guess, but I'm surprised a few smaller teams didn't try them. Maybe back to the aerodynamics issues of the 289 that prompted the Daytona?
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Bob Bondurant drove a 427, white with black bonnet, the one that was in the 'Daytonas' garage at the Revival... 8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Samthomasracing

Roger King wrote:If they were homologated in 1965, why didn't they start racing then? Overshadowed by the GT40, I guess, but I'm surprised a few smaller teams didn't try them. Maybe back to the aerodynamics issues of the 289 that prompted the Daytona?
The Scuderia Fillipinetti 427 is a great one to look it, a privateer company did very well in those famous italian & german hillclimbs which were part of an Fia calendar.
Name drop : When Peter Brock was over i asked him about the 427 and it was a supercar for the road which Carroll shelby said he knew would pay the bills, but it was an old design as from end of 65 onwards everything was going rear engined with aero really starting to take place etc.
Agree'd a 427 on straight through pipes will certainly be special, or as the owner calls it "a back to front can am car with shit tyres"
Samthomasracing

Roger King wrote:If they were homologated in 1965, why didn't they start racing then? Overshadowed by the GT40, I guess, but I'm surprised a few smaller teams didn't try them. Maybe back to the aerodynamics issues of the 289 that prompted the Daytona?
They did a lot in USRRC and American events before getting homologated, i think one came 4th on its first race at Pensacola in april 65, strangely very popular in Germany, Belgium & France from 66 onwards.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

nikbj68 wrote:Bob Bondurant drove a 427, white with black bonnet, the one that was in the 'Daytonas' garage at the Revival... 8)
That would be CSX3006, which was once owned and raced by The Chequred Flag team and wore registration number LOV 1.