Getting my ducks in a row.....

289, FIA & Daytona topics
jimw

Getting my ducks in a row.....

Post by jimw »

Hi All,

I've lurked on this forum on and off for quite a few years whilst messing about with various marques (mainly MG, Lotus and TVR plus quite a few motorbikes) with the initial intention of building a BRA 289 but more recently a Hawk 289 FIA and I've finally decided to look at this seriously. Apologies in advance if some of my questions seem basic but I'm keen to know how to approach this project before I start and to minimise (especially expensive!) mistakes. My plan is to build the car with Jag IRS and a Ford 302 but I'm wondering how to best approach this from a car registration point of view.

I found the recent posting about IVA which has some good stuff about registration too but I'm still unclear. As far as I can gather to register with an age appropriate plate I'll need 2 major donor parts from the same car under the 'Kit Converted Vehicles' regs. There also seems to be a requirement to prove you had the donor car at some point and even that the engine/gearbox were in it for at least 1 x car tax year (not 100% sure about this) - I'm very happy to be proved wrong on this point!

So if I'm using Jag IRS I can't count both axles from a donor so no point there, I can't count suspension for the same reason or steering column either (is the column from a MGB?) so that leaves me with the engine and transmission. How did you approach this - do I have to buy a donor with a 302 and T5 or can I get away with engine + gearbox and V5? Also if counting tranny as 1 major component how do the DVLA know it is from your donor?

I've got loads of other questions but I figure I should approach this in digestible parts otherwise you'll all run away....rightly so :)

Thanks in anticipation of responses.

Cheers

Jim
Paul Blore

Re: Getting my ducks in a row.....

Post by Paul Blore »

Welcome to the forum Jim.

I won't respond to your questions because there are others far more knowledgeable in these areas than I am and I have no doubt that they'll be along soon. :)

Paul