What a great shame

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

What a great shame

Post by agnoraan »

Found this on The 289 Register Faceache page, what a great shame, but at least Phils ok that's the main thing

As it was. I remember looking over this car at the NEC on the Duncan Hamilton stand

Nige
Samthomasracing

Re: What a great shame

Post by Samthomasracing »

This is heartbreaking, sincerely hope everyone is okay !
When racing was dangerous and sex was safe....
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

:cry:

I can't get this image out of my head. So terribly sad for Phil, although extremely relieved that he is Okay.
I also had a really good look at the car at the NEC, what a nice Cobra. :(
I have a handheld extinguisher in mine, but doubt it would have been up to this...maybe time to seriously consider that plumbed-in system.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Really sad to see this happen to a member's car, or any car for that matter. I think I'm right in saying that Phil only bought the car in February so he was probably still finding his way around it, but something clearly went badly wrong under the bonnet.
I think careful and regular maintenance is your best defence against this kind of disaster.
I've heard a number of tales of a particular type of plastic fuel filter melting, so it would be interesting to know what was fitted to Phil's car.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, very sad - any classic car owner's worst nightmare. Just glad nobody was hurt.
Particularly sad for me as that was Alan Broadbent's car, for which I helped build the engine in '06, I think it was. I can't remember any of the details but I can tell you there were no plastic or glass fuel filters fitted at the build stage - I have had issues with those before and never, ever use them.
I haven't seen the car for several years (apart from on the stand at the NEC last year) so have no idea what might have been done to it over the last few years. I don't know who commissioned it to DH - Alan sold it some years ago, so there's been at least one interim owner.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

A great shame.
Only speculation but a loose pipe connection to carb looks a possibility. Fuel pump will keep on going....

Post by Paul Blore »

I hadn't realised it was THAT car Roger. That's even more of a shame. :(

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

It can never be more of a shame when it's someone's pride and joy! :shock:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I take your point Clive as far as the current owner is concerned, but as he had only very recently acquired the car, he hadn't yet invested his blood, sweat and tears in the build, whereas Roger and Alan almost certainly had.
That isn't in any way intended to diminish Phil's investment in it, but having built your own car, I'm sure you'll agree that you now have a special relationship with it and it would hurt all the more if anything happened to it.

Paul
morgy

Post by morgy »

Holy Sh!te

Such a shame... lovely looking car before... :( :( Glad everyone involved was unharmed...